.htm, .html, .xhtml file extensions

TiggersBounce

I ran into a problem last year with my web host. During some maintenance, they updated (so I was told by tech support) the permissions for my account, and my index.html was no longer permitted and my entire site went off-line. Tech support changed my index to .htm (not what I asked) but I had to go through all the rest of my pages and manually update the links, changing index.html to index.htm. Only the index page was affected. The rest of my pages were fine with .html extensions. Water under the bridge now. Tech guy didn't know why the change, only that it was not going to be reversed.

Now I am making XHTML pages by default. I can easily save them as .htm if I like to make life easier. But, do I lose anything saving an XHTML Strict 1.0 compliant page as .htm? The W3C validator didn't show a fault, so I am assuming it is okay... but assume is such a bad word.

Hope my question is properly phrased.

Thanks. Al.

File extensions are either .htm or .html - there is no .xhtml. XHTML is a doctype that is often used incorrectly instead of HTML. (See: http://www.killersites.com/forums/topic/62/html-or-xhtml-updated-30-july-06/).

But even if you use an XHTML doctype, you can still save your page as either .htm or .html (or .php, etc.)