Is a free website really free?

dev7

Question

Hi,

Not sure if this has been covered already. 

I'm planning on doing my first free projects and this thought came to me:  As a freelance web developer, are we obligated or responsible for providing a Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy page on the client's website that we're creating for them?  From what I understand, these pages should be written by a lawyer. 

So how would we factor this in when discussing a website project with the client?

I'm just trying to anticipate different scenarios when I approach small business owners with a "free" website.  In the end it may not be so "free" for them due to costs of hosting, domain name, and a lawyer to write up terms & conditions along with a privacy policy.

Hoping to hear some feedback from those of you who have already gone through this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers to this question

21 hours ago, dev7 said:

As a freelance web developer, are we obligated or responsible for providing a Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy page on the client's website that we're creating for them?  From what I understand, these pages should be written by a lawyer. 

Every page you provide should noted in the contract. You cannot be expected to provide legal docs since you are not a lawyer. You are responsible only to deliver the website ... you are not responsible for the content the client includes are not includes. Don't put anything illegal of course!

Stef