Portfolio Site

rvandyke

I like it. It's clean and sharp and the nav bar is ever present, which isn't always the case.

Is the contact button unfinished? If not maybe reconsider the pop up asking how you'd like to open this. Personally how easily accessible a website makes it to contact them can be a deal breaker for me. If you go with a contact form to fill in with enquiries/comments I'd also leave your contact email easily visible too. Again it's a personal preference but I prefer to copy an email address and send from my own email account as forms usually leave no trace of when a message was sent leaving you to guess how you worded things and what you asked.

For me the sentence: "I am fundamentally tech agnostic--I do not believe in a "superior tech" or coding language, but will pair each project to it's optimal framework." is the best part of the whole website. Right away you're making it clear that you're open minded to using what ever is required to do the best job possible for the client. And if I was a client who had never used a developer before it would make me feel a little bit more at ease that I wasn't going to be over whelmed in jargon (with this in mind I might rethink "optimal framework" for something less opaque) and that my opinions might be listened to.  

Hope this helps.

Jim.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind review! Helped a lot. I think I may just do a form and validate it with JS at the end of the page. But , like you said, it doesn't leave a traceable message. I tried to make the contact button as easy as possible to press and link to my email immediately.  Maybe I should put "Email Me" for the button so the user knows what to open it with.What would you suggest? Also, in the footer it contains my phone number and email address. 

Edited by rvandyke
Forgot to add something
  • Like 1

I wouldn't change anything, you're well on the way, just set it up to link to your email the way you want it to. What I wouldn't do is put "email me." "Me" is such an overused word, it makes me think of a youtuber desperate for subscriptions, but maybe that's just me. "Get in touch" is open and friendly and works well enough, stick with it. And your email and phone number is good and prominent in the footer too. 

Edit: I forgot to say watch your spelling/typing, it's probably a typo but in the projects section writing only has one "t", first impression and all that. 

Edited by Jim706
Forgot to mention something.

Question: do you think the coloring looks good overall? Or should change the footer color as shown here? Or does it look fine as gray like it is now? Also , do you think the images and element spacing look fine overall?

thanks!

question.png

Edited by rvandyke
Forgot to add something

It's good you asked as there had been something I couldn't quite put my finger on. I like the overall style and the footer is fine, but after a bright clear start with "Hi there, I'm Ryan Van Dyke" it's black all the way to the footer.

It's too much darkness. I think keeping an eye on the times we live in is a good idea, and there's a lot of darkness and uncertainty in the air right now, and a lighter tone without being in your face might help to lift the mood. And you've almost got that. Context is important. 

I remember the old wild west days of the internet when black websites were in vogue and in hindsight they didn't really work, their message was lost in the gloom and they were unpleasant to read. Perhaps after "About me" in black you can alternate back to the colour scheme you use in the "Hi there..." introduction page for "Services" and "Projects".

"About me" in black works well enough because you do want to highlight yourself to sell yourself, but "Services" and "Projects" feel a bit lost in the black. I'd switch back to the lighter introduction colour scheme to make what you're offering stand out more, oddly having the continuous black feels like you're only whispering about them. Not that you want to be shouting at people either.

So after "About me" move to the light coloured background until the footer but keep your subject boxes in "Services" dark and maybe fill in the "Project" boxes and have a lighter shade of what you want the mouseover to reveal to avoid the anonymous empty boxes.  

Hope it helps,

Jim.

Edit: On reflection why not be kind to yourself and make the projects one row of 3 instead of 2 rows of 3, you won't feel under so much pressure to fill them all in and you can add more as they come. 

Edited by Jim706
Forgot something, again
  • Like 1