Jagged Fonts in IE on transparent Divs

Daybreak

Hello there,

I have a website I'm designing with transparent divs and they work great. The regular fonts look fine and everything looks fine on the Mac and in Firefox. However, in IE 6 and 7 on the PC the fonts look very bold and jagged. Any ideas on how to make them NOT look crappy?

Has anyone else run into this? Thanks.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking... whether or not your div has a transparent background shouldn't matter... unless you are doing animations on the div (fading it in and out, for example) which can cause problems. The transparency itself shouldn't matter. If you think it does, can you provide a link to the site so I can see what you mean?

Assuming you're dealing with a ClearType issue, (again, this only occurs on PCs with ClearType turned off) there really isn't anything you can do about that, short of making all of your text images, which I REALLY wouldn't recommend. As far as I know, it's really only an issue on Windows XP -- I believe that Vista and later versions of Windows have ClearType turned on my default (as does the Mac).

http://www.quirksmode.org/css/opacity.html

http://css-tricks.com/css-transparency-settings-for-all-broswers/ (a little dated)

As far as I can tell, you have the css correct. As stated by Ben, it looks like the Clear Type font is not enable to those that are not seeing what you are seeing and there isn't much you can do except convince them to turn it on.