wordpress- changing monochrome theme

jp612

Screenshot-wordpress-01-MozillaFire.jpg

What i want to do is take away the left sidebar and replace it with more page/blog space. The left sidebar isnt the usual wordpress left sidebar which you can add widgets to. It puts all sort of rubbish like php date scripts etc.

I have no idea to go about it though.

Dont even know where to start :/

Any help would e great

Thanks! :)

I'm pretty new at this, so I'm not exactly sure which page you need to change, but look for this code

<?php get_sidebar();?>

and comment it out (in case that wasn't it, so you can restore easier) and see if that removes the sidebar. Of course, then you'll have to change your stylesheet to make the main content wider.

I'm pretty new at this, so I'm not exactly sure which page you need to change, but look for this code
    <?php get_sidebar();?>

and comment it out (in case that wasn't it, so you can restore easier) and see if that removes the sidebar. Of course, then you'll have to change your stylesheet to make the main content wider.

No that command gets the right sidebar only the one that you can actually glue widgets too.

The left one doesnt seem to have a template which cant be...

What is on your home page? If it's the blog, can you please post your index.php code?

<?php get_header(); ?>

<?php $options = get_option('mc_options'); ?>

<?php $odd_or_even = 'odd'; ?>

<?php if ( have_posts() ) : while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>

<?php the_title(); ?>

<?php the_content(__('Read more', 'monochrome')); ?>

<?php wp_link_pages(); ?>

<?php the_time('Y') ?><?php the_time('m') ?>/<?php the_time('d') ?><?php _e('POSTED BY','monochrome'); ?><?php the_author_posts_link(); ?><?php _e('CATEGORY','monochrome'); ?><?php the_category('
'); ?>TAGS','monochrome'),'
','<?php comments_popup_link(__('Write comment', 'monochrome'), __('1 comment', 'monochrome'), __('% comments', 'monochrome')); ?>', '

<?php $odd_or_even = ('odd'==$odd_or_even) ? 'even' : 'odd'; ?>

<?php endwhile; else: ?>

<?php _e("Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.","monochrome"); ?>

<?php endif; ?>

<?php include('navigation.php'); ?>

<?php get_sidebar(); ?>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can do this easily. Do you happen to have this online so I could take a look at the live code?

It looks to me like the left sidebar isn't a sidebar at all. It has a different background image (which is actually connected to the white content bg image) to make it look separate, but it's all part of the #left_col div. Plus, the info in the left column is valuable (at least on the blog portion) because it gives the post date, category, comment count, etc.

I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but on a Page (instead of a blog page), can you select a different template?

To get rid of the left "sidebar", you'll have to do some recoding to move the post metadata and then some redesigning of the background image (not to mention refiguring the CSS).

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can do this easily. Do you happen to have this online so I could take a look at the live code?

It looks to me like the left sidebar isn't a sidebar at all. It has a different background image (which is actually connected to the white content bg image) to make it look separate, but it's all part of the #left_col div. Plus, the info in the left column is valuable (at least on the blog portion) because it gives the post date, category, comment count, etc.

I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but on a Page (instead of a blog page), can you select a different template?

To get rid of the left "sidebar", you'll have to do some recoding to move the post metadata and then some redesigning of the background image (not to mention refiguring the CSS).

No im afraid its not online yet. I also wont be able to get it online so easily. But i have looked for background images and havent found anything yet. I also know that if you change the wrapper and left_col width that only the content on the page moves so its not a "proper" sidebar like the other one. I'm still looking. All i want to do is make the black where the sidebar is white and making it part of the page because the pages are so small its impossible to make a nice proper info page. :(

However i really like the theme and want to keep it.

But!

is it possible to make the whole webpage a little wider by just changing the CSS file?

Would the whole page content editor agree with this?

is it possible to make the whole webpage a little wider by just changing the CSS file?

You can change anything changing the style.css of the template.

You will nee to upload wp to the server ( or use XAMPP to run WP remotely ) to see the changes.

If you have Firefox, look into page source code and see what id is used for the container in question.

You can change anything changing the style.css of the template.

You will nee to upload wp to the server ( or use XAMPP to run WP remotely ) to see the changes.

If you have Firefox, look into page source code and see what id is used for the container in question.

Yeah but the content of the page moves not the whole page. It writes on top of the left sidebar...

Yeah but the content of the page moves not the whole page. It writes on top of the left sidebar...
Then you didn't apply the change(s) to the right division(s).

Look at the source code (via your browser) and figure out how and which the divisions create your structure - that should tell you which one(s) need to change.