CMS intranet question.

artyr

Hi,

A colleague of mine has made an intranet site on our server at work and he used frontpage.It is not a CMS,but has links to files with information and some sort of connection to a SQL database.

I was wondering if a CMS system like Wordpress or any other wouldn't be better.

But how can you do that?Our server which runs WindowsXP doesn't have PHP as far as i know.Would installing Wamp some place on that server be ok,or would that interfere with the rest of the server which has a ticket sale service on it and i don't want to screw that up.

Would it be possible to install Wamp on a local computer and could we then have access to the CMS?

Or are there any other options for a intranet CMS.

I ask here first to gain some information before i talk to the system administrator so i know what i have to ask him?

Jack.

btw. this is my first post here but will post more once i get through the PHP videos.

I was wondering if a CMS system like Wordpress or any other wouldn't be better.

It would probably (I'm being polite) be much better! If your guy was using Frontpage to create things, I have a feeling that the quality of the work is probably less than perfect.

;)

Anyway, don't forget the first three rules of programming:

1. Reuse

2. Reuse

3. Reuse

.. Never, build anything from scratch unless you are doing something truly unique - this is rare.

I've been at web design and programming for 15 years and through that time, I've noticed that the more experienced the programmer, the less likely they would try to write code from scratch. Only greenhorn junior's are that arrogant.

To use a CMS?

Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla and any other established CMS' will be a much better because there has been thousands of man hours already put into these things. This means:

1. They all have lots of refined capability.

2. They probably will have far more solid (less buggy) code than anything you could build.

The trick to modern web programming and design, is to leverage what is out there.

Stefan

i

I am not sure what you mean by that question?

Stefan

Well the pc on my desk connected to the server of course,but i realize now that it wouldn't work if i installed Wamp on my own pc(unless it is always on).It has to be on the server.

So to the original question,can i install Wamp and a cms on the server without screwing anything up?

Bare with me i'm new to all this.

Jack.

Edited by artyr

Ah ... the answer is maybe.

If you already have a web server going on the network, and then trying to run another (wamp will try to run Apache) ... this will cause a conflict because both web servers will be trying to use port 80 - the default web server port.

So, if you already have another web server, you can just get wamp going on another port (say 8080) .. the problem is that then everyone would have to manually append that port number to the URL.

So for instance, if your server was running on the following internal IP: 127.0.0.5, you would have to have people use the following: 127.0.0.5:8080 ... and then the Wamp installed Apache would respond.

That said, all this is not really required 99% of the time; just install PHP in your current web server and then you can run your CMS there.

... I am making A LOT of assumptions here, so my suggestions may not apply. For instance, I am assuming:

1. you are already running a Windows based web server - IIS

2. you are running this server for an intranet only.

3. your web server doesn't have php installed.

Stefan

I just reread the first post; if your server is an XP box, then you must be running a limited version of IIS (if it is IIS) ... I think it can handle only 5 simultaneous request ... it is not designed for real use, just for testing.

Unless you have some IIS specific stuff you are doing, you might be better off just replacing it with a Wamp install ... wamp just installs and configures Apache, PHP and MySQL for you.

Stefan

I just reread the first post; if your server is an XP box, then you must be running a limited version of IIS (if it is IIS) ... I think it can handle only 5 simultaneous request ... it is not designed for real use, just for testing.

Unless you have some IIS specific stuff you are doing, you might be better off just replacing it with a Wamp install ... wamp just installs and configures Apache, PHP and MySQL for you.

Stefan

Thanks Stefan so far for the information i'll see what the administrator comes up with.