NuCoder

wetslips.jpg
high and dry
marina main
playground

open 7 days

leftColumn border

Word from our boaters..

"I have been coming to Anclote Harbors for 12 years. Service, price and reliability sum up the Marina in 3 words. I could not imagine going anywhere else"
From Brian Jones

sideBar lower border

marina overhead

Our Hours:

Monday thru Friday:           8:00 - 5:00

Saturday & Sunday:            8:00 - 7:00

mission logo

Welcome to Anclote Harbors Marina

"We are dedicated to providing great service at competitive rates!"

Anclote Harbors has been in the marine industry 20 plus years. We are now an All New High and Dry facility offering the boating community a new look and great services! Not only are we the only local marina that is 20% less than the industry standard, but we also are the only marina with mastered techinicans available 7 days a week. Call us today, & we will have your boat ready for launch when you arrive. No need to rush coming back to land - we have you covered with our beautiful
wetslips, which include cable tv, free wireless internet and a guaranteed depth of atleast 5.5 ft. Come see for yourself the difference at Anclote Harbors
Marina - where boating is a pleasure!

Our Services

• High &amp Dry Buildings
  • Wet Slips
  • 24 Hr. Security Cameras
  • Floating Docks
  • Flushing Of Boat
  • And more..

News & Tips

Anchoring Tips

When purchasing a new anchor, make sure you get the correct type for the bottom conditions where you go boating. Most stores can help you decide on the type, but do not go cheap. Buy at least 1 good heavy anchor for each bottom which you expect to have to anchor on.

promo ad

footer top border
Anclote Harbors Marina

523 Anclote Rd.

Tarpon Springs, Fl 34689

(727) 934-7616

info@ancloteharbors.com

footer logo

©2010 Anclote Harbors Marina - All Rights Reserved

I loaded your page up here: www.aandbwebdesign.com/misc/nucoder.html - but I do not see any jump. I do see 153 validation errors. Most of them are cause by stuff stuff like this: - but you should strive for ZERO errors. (http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_comment.asp)

Did you mean that when you CLICK a link it shrinks? Which one(s) specifically?

If your saying that when you use an absolute link and it works, then the relative one is written incorrectly. How many folders deep is your structure? Judging by the link to your stylesheet -

The way your links are written in the footer -

Contact - will never work for all the pages on your site. Whatever page you're on, this links to two folders higher up. And note in the example I picked, you have 2 periods.

You should really look into getting a hosting account. It'll be so much easier and more efficient to look at exactly what you have there, than having to upload it ourselves and still having to guess at some of the things you have there.

I loaded your page up here: www.aandbwebdesign.com/misc/nucoder.html - but I do not see any jump. I do see 153 validation errors. Most of them are cause by stuff stuff like this: - but you should strive for ZERO errors. (http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_comment.asp)

Did you mean that when you CLICK a link it shrinks? Which one(s) specifically?

If your saying that when you use an absolute link and it works, then the relative one is written incorrectly. How many folders deep is your structure? Judging by the link to your stylesheet -

The way your links are written in the footer -

Contact - will never work for all the pages on your site. Whatever page you're on, this links to two folders higher up. And note in the example I picked, you have 2 periods.

You should really look into getting a hosting account. It'll be so much easier and more efficient to look at exactly what you have there, than having to upload it ourselves and still having to guess at some of the things you have there.

Hi Andrea,

I know I noticed those as well and will be cleaning them up (never knew using 2 comments on an element is no good (Strict)

Up in the main nav in header - When I click About from the home page - it jumps to the About page - but tthe About link is smaller and the whole navigation moves up and widens. Same thing - if I click on Ammenities - it goes to the Ammenities page - but About and Ammenities links are smaller and the navigation is wider and moved up

In regards to the Absolute link. I make the NOAA Marine link in the sidebar an absolute link to link to the NOAA page. When I do this - the page links- but the link shifts (NOAA is on top and Marine is under NOAA)

I have 14 folders in my structure (1 for each page, and 1 for images, CSS, scripts, tides). Would maybe the fact that I do not have my index.htm in the index folder, the about.htm in the about folder and etc.. - would this be affecting the links from doing what they are doing?

with the footer links - these were implemented prior to my adding the site root folder and it did this automatically (will fix this - but good tip and thank you for advising me)

I will look into a hosting account - even thinking of asking Stefan

Thanks Andrea -

just trying to get over these 1st hurdles of actually grinding it out to get my 1st project complete...

Edited by NuCoder

For me in Firefox, the main navigation isn't even clickable.

So you have:

Root Folder

-- index Folder

-index.html

-- about Folder

-about.html

-- services Folder

-- services.html

and so forth? That may be a bit overkill.

The footer links work - just that on my site, they're going to a 404.

And this:

info@whatever.com

is wrong - an email link should look like this

Email Address 

However, putting emails on websites is like an open invitation to spambots.

EDIT

And I take back what I said earlier - if they are all 2 folders deep, then it should work.

Thanks andrea

my set up is:

Site Root:

--Index

--About

--Services

--etc...

then

the .htm's are below these folder:

--index.htm

--about.htm

--services.htm

They are not in the folders themselves (i.e index.htm is not in the index folder)

I use FF as well. When I click the links I get this message:

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at /C:/Users/Webmaster/Documents/about.htm.

* Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.

* Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.

That is not a 404 is it?

below is the XHTML:

Home

About

Services

Ammenities

Maintenance

Contact

Please bear with me Andrea and I appreciate your help. I do not know if you have seen any of my posts - but I am now just putting my studies to work, and I may have some ridiculous questions, but once I know how to fix the issue - I will know how to not make them again. Your assistance is greatly appreciated and hopefully soon I will be able to assist you guys in answering questions to the forum

Thank you for the spam tip on email!

Edited by NuCoder

Ok now the link is small - click on it and it links to the page. I am using the About page. On the Home page - The About link is smaller than the rest of the links. I hover over the About link, the text for the About and Home link enlarge a little bit. I click on the About link and I am linked to the About page. On the About page - the link now is normal size as the rest of the links(?)

Sorry guys for the questions, I am just trying to learn - and yes - I am sober and this !2^t is really happening

Here is the CSS for the navigation:

#header ul {
   list-style-type: none;
   float:right; 
}

#header ul li {
   float: left;
   padding: 110px 0 0 15px; 
}

#header li a:link, a:visited {
   font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
   font-size: .75em;
   text-decoration: none;
   display: inline;
   padding-right: 17px; 
   color: #5c8ac5;
}

#header li a:hover, a:active {
   font-size: .75em; 
   color: #acac81;
}

the XHTML:

HOME
ABOUT
SERVICES
AMMENITIES
 MAINTENANCE
CONTACT

Edited by NuCoder

I'm still not clear on your set-up.

Site Root:

--Index

--About

--Services

--etc...

then

the .htm's are below these folder:

--index.htm

--about.htm

--services.htm

So what are Index, About, Services then - not folders? And where are the htm files? And if index.htm is NOT in the index folder, what do you have in there (and why do you have it)?

I'm trying to understand your structure so I can figure out what the links need to look like.

I second Andrea's comment about your folder structure. It looks overly complicated, but I can't really give you specific advice unless I understand it.

I looked at the code you sent me, and the code you posted above, and I'm not seeing anything that should cause an issue. However, I only have the code for your index page, not any subpages.

I'd probably suggest this (assuming you are working on a Windows machine): select the folder that holds all of your website related files. Right click on the folder, select "send to", and then select "Compressed Folder". Follow the options through if there are any, and email me the resulting zip file. That way, I'll have all of the files you are working with so I can check your navigation issue, can see your folder structure, and can give you accurate advice.

Good morning Andrea,

That is ok and I appreciate the assistance greatly. In the bottom right hand corner of DW - my root folder consists of

Root Folder

--index

--about

--services

etc..

etc..

etc...

(there is nothing inside of these folders)

Then my .htm pages are listed below these

--index.htm

--about.htm

etc..

etc...

Now when I am on the home page - with my link for the about page (xhtml) set up as:

About

The About link shows smaller than the rest of the links. The navigation seems wider - and when I hover over the About link - it as well as the Home link appear to shift or increase in size (both link and hover are .75em) I click the About link - it links to the About page - and the About link is now normal size as the rest of the links? Same thing happens when I attempted the services page.

My computer crashed last weekend and my brother took 8 hours cleaning it up. He added another gig and Windows 7. Since Windows 7 has been added - it seems to be more of a pain in the a.. and do not know if this may be due to Windows 7?

I could attempt to send you the files if you wanted as well? my email is se ar ay_ c t s @ yah oo if you wanted to email me - I could reply back to you. This is my 1st project. I am re designing the marina website my brother helps run w w w. a nc lot e ha rbo rs. co m. Once I get over these hurdles - I will know how to jump and will not stumble across these issues again..

thank you

Brian

NuCoder, you need to get a server. Even a free one will do (just Google it). Then you can throw all these files up live and make it much easier on yourself to fix these type of issues. :)

Hi Eric

I will look into - thank you for the tip.....

thanks

Brian

I'll post it tomorrow. After waiting over 1.5 hours for my rar files to attach (Still did not complete), we tried Torrent and that did not work. Did Rapidshare - but can only do 1 a day - and I mistakenly uploaded the Torrent file and not the RAR the 1st upload...aiy

After waiting over 1.5 hours for my rar files to attach (Still did not complete), we tried Torrent and that did not work. Did Rapidshare - but can only do 1 a day - and I mistakenly uploaded the Torrent file and not the RAR the 1st upload...aiy

What are you uploading? This seemed to be just a regular website with some html, css, and image files.....

Or did I miss something?

After waiting over 1.5 hours for my rar files to attach (Still did not complete)' date=' we tried Torrent and that did not work. Did Rapidshare - but can only do 1 a day - and I mistakenly uploaded the Torrent file and not the RAR the 1st upload...aiy[/quote']

What are you uploading? This seemed to be just a regular website with some html, css, and image files.....

Or did I miss something?

Hi Andrea,

I was trying to upload my .htm pages and downloaded them in a RAR file. My brother was going to put me up on a temp server, so I can post it to the forum & he can review how the site is coming along with the company (the Marina who I am redesigning for / he is going to school for networking so he has some background with programming)..

Glad I am redesigning their site Pro Bono :D

After waiting over 1.5 hours for my rar files to attach (Still did not complete)' date=' we tried Torrent and that did not work. Did Rapidshare - but can only do 1 a day - and I mistakenly uploaded the Torrent file and not the RAR the 1st upload...aiy[/quote']

Or did I miss something?

Edited by NuCoder

Brian, assuming you were just trying to post the files for us to look at, I've used services like http://www.dropsend.com/ (or a similar service) before that work quite well for sending large files. Sounds like making a torrent or putting the files up on RapidShare is an unnecessary hassle.

Hi Ben,

I will look into the dropsend - thank you for the resource. I will keep you posted.....

(slowly pulling my hair out by each strand....... :D )

I took a brief look - and I'm not quite sure where to begin. You have more folders than make sense, and I do not know why you even have word documents that contain html. I suggest the following for starters:

If you're serious about this webdesign thing, get yourself your own hosting account - and preferably one that offers PHP and MySQL. I don't know if I should still recommend mine, I've had some issues lately, but overall, I'm staying with them for now. I pay $1/month and I get plenty. It's a cheap option anyway - 3 i x .org -

Then start over with your website. That doesn't mean you have to re-write everything, but start 'building' your site from scratch just to get a handle on the organization.

I would also highly recommend you save your pages as php (not html) so you can take advantage of php includes. Then, in your root folder, create the following folders ONLY:

(and for your file and folder names, use LOWER case CONSISTENTLY. If you want to make something more readable, use hyphens or Camel case. Example: harbor-marina.jpg or harborMarina.jpg. pick a style you like, and stick with it.)

images

includes

css

all you php pages go right into the root folder:

index.php

about.php

tarpon.php --- whatever you have, one for each of your pages.

in your includes folder, save the following:

header.inc

footer.inc

navigation.inc

in your CSS folder, you'll have ONE style.css file. (It makes sense to use more than one if you have a complicated navigation (keep the styles for it on a separate sheet) or if you have a photo gallery on one page (that would make sense in its own .css as well - but ALL your pages generally share the SAME basic stylesheet).

and all your images, of course, go into your images folder. If you have many layout-related images, it might make sense to keep those separate from your content-related images, just depends. Or if you have many images all over the site, then maybe sub-folders under your images folder might be helpful.

On your regular php pages, replace the code for your header, navigation, and footer with: [Edit - Adding here: That is for all the parts that are THE SAME on all your pages]

<?php include('includes/header.inc'); ?>

<?php include('includes/navigation.inc'); ?>

<?php include('includes/footer.inc'); ?>

respectively.

and then past that code into the respective files. Example, footer.inc would look like this (and note that I've changed what you have:

Anclote Harbors Marina

523 Anclote Rd.

Tarpon Springs, Fl 34689

(727) 934-7616

info@ancloteharbors.com

Home
About
Services
Ammenities
Maintenance
Contact

©2010 Anclote Harbors Marina - All Rights Reserved

As I just changed the links in the navigation here, I noticed you had some pages as htm and some as html - they both work, but you need to be consistent (just as with the upper-lower case thing of naming your files and folders). If not, before too long, you'll try to figure out why a file or image isn't showing, and after wasting all kinds of time trying to trouble-shoot, you'll discover that it was a case issue or some other inconsistency. And then you'll remember what I've been saying.

Also, as you start over, use the HTML strict doctype - you don't need XHTML.

And when you work on your stylesheet - of course there will be a few things that are unique to just one page. Example, the styling of your contact form (which you should have instead of publishing an email address and just asking for spam -- and besides, the way you coded the email thingy is wrong - I already told you that a few days ago), will be unique to the contact page. But in general, all pages should be sharing the same styles - on the SAME stylesheet.

This is just a little to get you sorted out. And of course, most of it is not edged in stone, and other designers may do some things differently. But I think based on what I've seen, this kind of lays out a much clearer approach to a website than what you currently have - and it works for me.

Adding on - Forgot to mention this and it's kind of important:

All images used on the website need to be optimized. Keep the file size as small as possible, and create them in the exact size they are meant to be displayed.

Edited by Andrea

Good morning Andrea,

Thank you for taking the time to look it over and provide me with some great tips. I am very serious about web design. I have been studying for the last yr or so, and actually did not put anything to work (Just studied, studied - w3schools, books, blogs, lynda.com). My brother popped this on me and it got me to roll my sleeves up and do it - and it is true - you do not learn until you do it.

Never would have known of changing .htm to .php. And yes I will be adding a contact form to the contact page and deleting the info email. I would also like to include on the form feedback on the site (what the user like to see on the site, do they like the site etc..)

Would my linking issue possibly be due to the way my folder structure is?

My images I am struggling with. These were test images to provide an idea of what will be there. I am struggling with Content Aware Scaling and when I clip the image - it seems that the image does not appear right (too much clipped)

Thank you again for pointing out my errors and assisting me in going the right direction. Everyone's support here is phenomenal and I am always grateful for the assistance

Brian

Edited by NuCoder

Very possibly if your structure is too complicated.

I am struggling with Content Aware Scaling and when I clip the image - it seems that the image does not appear right (too much clipped)

I don't have CS4, in CS3 I resize the image to the size it has to be on the page then to compress file size I use File - Save for Web and select the settings to get the best possible quality with the least file size. I don't know if this function still exists in CS4?

Hi Brian, do everything Thelma suggested first. Mainly, as I suggested earlier, you need to get a Host. Without one, it's like trying to drive without gas. Sure, you can sit in your car and pretend, but your not going to really get anywhere unless you get yourself some gas (AKA a host). You won't be able to test and fix any of these issues very easily without one.

In short, get rid of all your folders, other than what Thelma suggested. All your pages (index, about, etc) should be sitting at root level (top). That will fix your linking issues. One CSS file which links to all pages. Then throw it all up live (with your new host) and "then" we can fix issues as they arise. :)

Very possibly if your structure is too complicated.

I am struggling with Content Aware Scaling and when I clip the image - it seems that the image does not appear right (too much clipped)

I don't have CS4' date=' in CS3 I resize the image to the size it has to be on the page then to compress file size I use File - Save for Web and select the settings to get the best possible quality with the least file size. I don't know if this function still exists in CS4?[/quote']

Thanks Virtual

With CS4 - I try to make the image smaller by clipping it - but with the images I am using - when clipped - it does not look right. What I did was save the image for web and devices and change the size in here. It becomes stretched or squished. I am going to go back to lynda.com and listen to some chapters with Deke and Jan Kabili..

thanks

Brian

Hi Brian, do everything Thelma suggested first. Mainly, as I suggested earlier, you need to get a Host. Without one, it's like trying to drive without gas. Sure, you can sit in your car and pretend, but your not going to really get anywhere unless you get yourself some gas (AKA a host). You won't be able to test and fix any of these issues very easily without one.

In short, get rid of all your folders, other than what Thelma suggested. All your pages (index, about, etc) should be sitting at root level (top). That will fix your linking issues. One CSS file which links to all pages. Then throw it all up live (with your new host) and "then" we can fix issues as they arise. :)

Thanks Eric

Great way of explaining it :)

in DW - just right click the folders and delete and start fresh? If the pages drop below the folders - I can just move them above? (I ask this bc I believe they dropped below automatically originally)

You guys are terrific. Hopefully soon I can assist you guys in answering topics - and give you a breather from me... :D

Welcome. Yes, from within DW, just right click and delete each folder. If there are files in those folders those will be deleted also. You can drag any folders or files anywhere you want to put them. Each time you move a file, DW will ask you if you want to update the links. If you want it to do this just say yes, if not, say no and do it yourself. You'll need to define your website in DW if you havent yet. Lynda.com has a vid on that. Before you do any of this just copy tour whole website and save it on your desktop so then your not afraid to experiment.