How can I make Photoshop forget what I just did?

Susie

Okay, this is driving me a little crazy and I can't figure out how to stop it. If I add some sort of effect onto an object (drop shadow, color, whatever...), it gets automatically applied to the next object I create. Is there a way to make that stop?

That's happened to me before. If I remember, for me, once I drew the shape and styled it, it defaulted to that style, and my options for that (with the shape open) were up in the top right corner of the program. You know, your usually given another menu depending on the tool being used - top right?!

One other thing to try as a last resort -- try clearing your Photoshop preferences. If you hold Alt + Ctrl + Shift while starting Photoshop, it'll delete any existing preferences (obviously you'll need to set up your preferences again once the program is fully open).

Did this start happening recently? Any idea when it started, and if you changed anything that might have affected it?

It defaults to repeating an effect on a new layer, just right click on the layer and "Clear Layer Style", then you can add a different effect. Or as Eric said, in the top menu bar click the drop down arrow next to style and set to none.

If you use the Character palette and change settings it will also remember the last settings used unless you reset to default.

Edited by virtual

I'm using CS3 and it has always happened as far as I can remember.

Thanks for your help, everyone. Clicking on Styles and then none fixes it for me. So, the new objects will still have the styles applied, but at least now I know how to get rid of it instead of just having to turn off the visibility. Cool! :cool:

Edited by Susie