How many of you are using Wordpress?

administrator

Hi,

As some of you may know, I am a big advocate of web designers using Wordpress (or any other blog or CMS) as the basis for just about any web design project - it just saves a lot of time and provides all kinds of functionality:

- built in search.

- allows users to easily add pages and edit pages.

- search engine friendly out of the box.

- makes it really easy to update the entire site.

Etc ...

I was just wondering how many of you were using Wordpress (or any CMS) or planning on using it in the near future?

Thanks,

Stefan

I discovered Thesis for Wordpress and it really makes it easy to make beautiful blogs, mine is always a work in progress, but I do like the clean functionality of it!!

Amy

Websites are always a work in progress ... that's just one reason the web design business is a good one to be in!

:)

Stefan

I was strongly considering codigniter too, I just couldn't get past their use of looping code in the views. In fact, this sparked a minor debate on the issue.

...This is getting off the original topic, but keep in mind that the particular video you viewed was a very basic intro tutorial. I'm pretty sure you could easily move that loop out of the view and into the controller. It just depends on what you are most comfortable with. I'll have to look at CakePHP and see how it compares in that respect.

I use WordPress and have just enrolled in Killersites University in an effort to use it better. Being rather techno-challenged, I hope that learning how to build one, and the challenge of doing so, will help me become more efficient and proficient in managing my sites.

I use WordPress and have just enrolled in Killersites University in an effort to use it better. Being rather techno-challenged, I hope that learning how to build one, and the challenge of doing so, will help me become more efficient and proficient in managing my sites.

That makes sense.

What you will find, is that if you challenge yourself to learn more complex things in web design, you will become better with everything in general. So, if you learn:

- wordpress theme building

- basic php

- basic javascript

... Your overall ability to create great websites will jump. That realization (that having exposure to all these subjects helped) was one of the motivations for the Killersites University ... I wanted a one-stop-shop for people to develop all these skills.

There will be much more about this in the near future.

I have done about 10-12 WP blogs. Most of which are in addition to ecommerce stores we build. Of those, all but one are custom design template.

My wife has WP as well but that uses a template.

I agree with Stefan, learn the very basics that he listed and it will certainly make you a bit more efficient when it comes to producing websites for clients.

I use Wordpress on two blogs and have built a couple of small sites for clients with it. I purchased the Killer Sites series on building a theme so I'm getting to do that and getting better at it. Next I plan to delve into developing plugins :) Wordpress is pretty sweet to use.

For more heavy duty websites I use Drupal which I find to be an amazingly powerful system. I also use MODx CMS which is pretty flexible and whose power I don't think I've even started tapping into.

I've been using wordpress for a blog but not got round to using it to develop a site yet. My wifes webite needs an overhaul and I want to make it easy for her to add content (instead of me doing it!) so I am thinking of giving wordpress a go and seeing what happens.

I've not built a wordpress theme/template so that should be something else to learn.

Phil

I purchased the Killer Sites series on building a theme so I'm getting to do that and getting better at it. Next I plan to delve into developing plugins

We may have a tutorial on plugin development for Wordpress.

Thanks for picking up the Wordpress theme building tutorial.

Stefan

OK, I looked around but couldn't find the plugin development tutorial. Is it in the Killer Sites University somewhere? I would definitely pick that one up too. I haven't bought a membership yet because I had bought most of the series tuts before KSU came along.

OK, I looked around but couldn't find the plugin development tutorial. Is it in the Killer Sites University somewhere? I would definitely pick that one up too. I haven't bought a membership yet because I had bought most of the series tuts before KSU came along.

I've just been looking at the Wordpress tuts, look quite good, worth a membership I think.

Phil

Is there already a Wordpress Plugin development tutorial/screencast on Killer Sites? I didn't see it even in the list of stuff in the Uni.

We will be coming out with one ... probably within a month.

Stefan

Wonderful wonderful wonderful :D:D !! I assume it will be possible to buy it by itself? I ask this because I had already purchased a lot of the other tut series.

Hi,

As some of you may know, I am a big advocate of web designers using Wordpress (or any other blog or CMS) as the basis for just about any web design project - it just saves a lot of time and provides all kinds of functionality:

- built in search.

- allows users to easily add pages and edit pages.

- search engine friendly out of the box.

- makes it really easy to update the entire site.

Etc ...

I was just wondering how many of you were using Wordpress (or any CMS) or planning on using it in the near future?

Thanks,

Stefan

I started learning wordpress about a month ago, and I am in the process of going through the videos on the KU site. In fact, one of the reasons I am on this forum now is to ask a question about the wordpress video on wordpress loop. I finished the tutorial and I have wordpress installed locally on my machine, but the php doesn't seem to be working properly. When I click on a link or try to go to a page that is'nt there, I just get the error 404 page. I changed the permalink option in the dashboard like he said in the video, but still no change. Probably just missing something. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

When I click on a link or try to go to a page that is'nt there, I just get the error 404 page. I changed the permalink option in the dashboard like he said in the video, but still no change.
This may not apply as I had my files uploaded, but I'll mention it just in case. I had this issue, too, until I saw that I had to change my .htaccess file. The info was towards the bottom of the permalink page.