New Design Prototype

AlexGrim

Ok, i was trying to take the design and change it to go in a new and more ergonomic direction, but i feel that i have failed. I love the menu, but the rest of the page doesn?t really seem to flow with it, and so i just wanted to know what others think. The design is based off of the main website?s design direction:

http://se o.ionisi s.c om [remove spaces]

Thanx!

Edited by falkencreative

To be honest... I'm not really a fan of either look. The whole "futuristic" feel seems a bit cheesy and unprofessional to me, and actually would put me off using your services.

A couple comments:

-- keep in mind that some users have either large monitors or use a large screen resolution. For example, on the site you linked to, the content stretches a full 1600px across the page, which is definitely hard to read. I'd really suggest that if you are going to use a liquid layout, you use a max-width.

-- I found the dropdown navigation a bit hard to use, primarily because there are a lot of acronyms that I (and other visitors, I imagine) may not recognize. You'd probably reduce confusion by listing the full titles out, rather than just the acronyms.

-- You might want to implement some sort of .htaccess-based URL rewriting. Having urls like "http://ionisis.com/?a=WCMS_Page_Display&id=3626 86001256692637&t=SEO_Company_|_SE O_Firm_|_SEO_Services_|_Best_SEO_Company_|_Top_SEO_Com pany" are basically unreadable. If I'm not on the site, I have no idea what sort of content to expect if I visit that page. The use of subdomains for each of the main sections seems odd, though it isn't necessarily wrong.

-- The search seems a bit odd... You've included it in your website, though you specifically state "not really intended for public use, or for use as a search engine". And then your comment "Despite the fact that we are allowing the public to use it, we choose who gets listed, and we are VERY selective, so 99% of all requests for submissions will be denied." makes me confused as to what it searches. I expect that it should work like other site searches work?it searches the content within the site?but your comment seems to imply that you offer some sort of listing service that gets searched.

My display is 1680x1050 :D. I am currently experimenting with a new design as we speak ;). I like full fluid layouts, but there's something wrong with this one :D.

I actually just finished fixing a layout issue with the drop down menu, but the acronyms is a good point too, thanx.

I rewrite urls all the time, and our WCMS/UFMS also does its own canonicalization. I actually wrote that url like that on purpose (SEO).

Yeah, i crawl other people's sites as well as our own, and you can search our index to find what we may or may not have. This is only a prototype and has a long way to go before it will become a REAL search engine. The purpose of that project was to develop a better engine, because i see how the big engines are allowing bogus content to slip through, so as i get free time to work out algorithms, i try to get better results. Because that is so much of a "back-burner" type of project, i don't even cache results, or make a big deal of it. For now, from a user standpoint, it is nothing more than a "convenience" for the websites that happen to be allowed into the index. Hell, i don't even bother collecting search stats yet.....

Edited by AlexGrim

@ Susie:

Thanks, and that is strange too! I only use FF (FF/Linux), and i JUST got finished testing with Chrome and IE... hmmmmmm........

Hey Susie, are you telling your FF browser NOT to send the HTTP_REFERER string? If so, that's why you're not getting any style ;)

Edited by AlexGrim

Please leave the spaces in your URL - we put them there for a reason.

I find the test running too wide, too, and I'm 'only' viewing at 1280. When I have to move my head to read as if I'm watching a tennis match - I don't like it.

Your 'title' - Seo company - services - firm - look like a navigation bar of sorts, but there's no link. And talk about keyword stuffing.... The actual navigation bar, so, is a bit sparse. And what's the point of having a search box AND a link to a page with a search box up there?

Ok, so i've been around here for over 6 months; i've got 24 posts; i've given 3 times the advice in posts than i have posted for myself; i'm obviously not a robot; yet, i can't have a link to my site, even despite the fact that it's being nofollowed? But yet, other people with less posts and newer to the forum are allowed to have links? No wonder Stephan's sites are going down hill. You can delete this post --and my account.

Ok, so i've been around here for over 6 months; i've got 24 posts; i've given 3 times the advice in posts than i have posted for myself; i'm obviously not a robot; yet, i can't have a link to my site, even despite the fact that it's being nofollowed? But yet, other people with less posts and newer to the forum are allowed to have links? No wonder Stephan's sites are going down hill. You can delete this post --and my account.

There is a difference between personal sites and resource sites that the poster has no connection with. In general, we add spaces to URLS of personal sites to avoid the appearance of spam. It's difficult to catch every one -- we do have a limited number of moderators -- but we try to be fair about it. You are welcome to PM me any of the links you mention above "other people... are allowed to have links" and I can take a look.

You can advertise in your profile, but we ask that you keep the spaces in the url within posts linking to personal sites to avoid the appearance of spam. If you are honestly expecting feedback, rather than just promoting yourself, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Users will know to remove the spaces to look at your site.

Thanks,

Ben - Moderator