Assistance on 1st Project

NuCoder

I have started my 1st project and am experiencing a couple of issues and am hoping someone can assist me.

1) I am having a Drop Float issue somewhere in my footer. I have the footer set to overflow: hidden and there are no fixed widths on my floated elements inside of the footer.

2) Also - I would like to implement an image but part of the image will need to exceed the container. I tried using negative margin as well as z-index and it did not seem to help.

I have scratched my head and looked cross eyed - and am still un successful. I do not have a url for the site yet and am unable to post the mockup or the site on the forum. Could I email anyone the PSD Mockup and code to the page to see if you may be able to assist me.

Thank you in advance

Brian

1) I am having a Drop Float issue somewhere in my footer. I have the footer set to overflow: hidden and there are no fixed widths on my floated elements inside of the footer.

2) Also - I would like to implement an image but part of the image will need to exceed the container. I tried using negative margin as well as z-index and it did not seem to help.

1) The overflow: hidden method must have a width (px or %) see item 2d here:-

http://www.wickham43.net/firefoxbackground.php

and floated divs should always have a width for IE6.

2) Would it work if you used a background-image and center it (parts either side would be cut off), or do you want it to show outside the container, in which case you might be able to layer the image over or under the div using position: relative or position: absolute;?

Thanks guys..

Ben I am going to email you (from Brian Jones) - thank you

Wickham:

I will continue to play around with it. I have tried changing the footer from an ID to a class (which I should do anyways)and a width of 100% and added widths to the elements inside. I still get the Float Drop and even the Expand quirk (fixed).

I am going to try and set the pages container to relative and absolute position the image. The image is of a sticky note with a fish line and hook going through it. With the way the fishing line is (this is what will be outside the page container) - when I saved it for web & devices in PS - I had to make the image around 300 px or so. My container is 800px wide - and my other elements to the left of the image total about 620px. So I am about 120 px too wide.

While I have studied for the last year on CSS, XHTML, usability an aesthetics etc.. I am now just finally putting it to use and unfortunately am hitting the first bumps in the rd...

Thank you for your assistance as is truly appreciated

Anclote Logo

marina boat

mission logo

Welcome to Anclote Harbors Marina

"We are dedicated to providing great service at competitive rates!"

Anclote Harbors has been in the marine industry 20 plus years. We are now an All New High and Dry facility offering the boating community a new look and great services! Looking to boat longer and not rush to come in? We have wet slips available! With a guaranteed depth of 5.5 ft., our slips come with cable tv as well as high speed internet access. Come visit us at Anclote Harbors Marina - Where boating is a pleasure!

Boaters Checklist

checkmark Life Preservers

checkmark Full Tank

checkmark Water

checkmark Fire Extinguisher

checkmark Visual Distress Signal

checkmark Navigation Lights &        Shapes

News & Tips

Anchoring Tips

When purchasing a new anchor, make sure you get the corect type for the bottom conditions where you go boating. Most stores can help you decide on the type, but do not go cheap. Buy atleast 1 good heavy anchor for each bottom which you expect to have to anchor on.

promo ad

footer top border

Anclote Harbors Marina

523 Anclote Rd.

Tarpon Springs, Fl 34689

(727) 934-7616

www.info@ancloteharbors.com

footer logo

Hello,

1) I'm not seeing the drop float in the footer - the code looks good - what is droping in your footer?

2) Aside from position absoluteing the image outside your container, if you float it and use a negative margin I see no reason why that would not work either. Either way should be good!

marina boat

mission logo

Welcome to Anclote Harbors Marina

"We are dedicated to providing great service at competitive rates!"

Anclote Harbors has been in the marine industry 20 plus years. We are now an All New High and Dry facility offering the boating community a new look and great services! Looking to boat longer and not rush to come in? We have wet slips available! With a guaranteed depth of 5.5 ft., our slips come with cable tv as well as high speed internet access. Come visit us at Anclote Harbors Marina - Where boating is a pleasure!

Boaters Checklist

checkmark Life Preservers

checkmark Full Tank

checkmark Water

checkmark Fire Extinguisher

checkmark Visual Distress Signal

checkmark Navigation Lights &        Shapes

News & Tips

Anchoring Tips

When purchasing a new anchor, make sure you get the corect type for the bottom conditions where you go boating. Most stores can help you decide on the type, but do not go cheap. Buy atleast 1 good heavy anchor for each bottom which you expect to have to anchor on.

promo ad

footer top border

Anclote Harbors Marina

523 Anclote Rd.

Tarpon Springs, Fl 34689

(727) 934-7616

www.info@ancloteharbors.com

Home

About

Services

Ammenities

Maintenance

Contact

footer logo

Hi Brian, couple of suggestions...

It's probably best on you and anyone helping, to tackle one problem at a time. Fix it - move on -repeat. Second, don't design in design view, and definitly don't lisen to what DW is telling you is wrong. Tells me that stuff all the time and I know it's wrong. I dont think there is a cure for a 3 pixel jog (if it's indeed there) other than giving ie6 a negative 3px margin. But if it's not causing any problems, just ignore it.

Edited by Eric

Hi Brian, couple of suggestions...

It's probably best on you and anyone helping, to tackle one problem at a time. Fix it - move on -repeat. Second, don't design in design view, and definitly don't lisen to what DW is telling you is wrong. Tells me that stuff all the time and I know it's wrong. I dont think there is a cure for a 3 pixel jog (if it's indeed there) other than giving ie6 a negative 3px margin. But if it's not causing any problems, just ignore it.

Thanks Eric. I was curious about the look it was giving me. Even though I code myself, I was using split between code and design. Learning to save every so many steps and checking each browser when I save. Good to hear that the quirks may not really be there and may be showing in err. (Every day learning something new :) ) Sorry for throwing so much out there at once on you guys. Thanks again for the input...