Full Sail

NuCoder

Has anyone gone to this school or know of experiences? Why I am self taught and have been for the last year. I feel like I may be missing something - or afraid I may overlook something. Along with direction and peers to fall on - I think some schooling will be beneficial. With Full Sail - you earn your Bachelors of Science degree in 27 months. This school inspires me - and I am looking for any personal feedback that may be out there (besides reviews). I am hoping I can get full financial aid - as taking on a $57,000 debt is another thing to consider. If you have experienced or know of experiences with this school - I would love to hear your take..

Maybe Newseed can answer this, he's in Florida. But hey it's a big state and an even bigger country...!

Learning at any stage in life is always beneficial, it totally depends on what you want to do with your life. If you want to get a steady job, then a college degree is almost essential nowadays. However, if you are more of an entrepreneur, then self taught is fine, and keep on learning.

$57,000 is a lot of money to invest if you don't know what your goals and job offerings that will result from the degree will be. Do a little more research into what sort of jobs you can get with this degree, or do the reverse and choose the job you would like to have and see what most of the educational requirements are.

You could also see a career advisor at a community college.

Edited by virtual

Maybe Newseed can answer this, he's in Florida. But hey it's a big state and an even bigger country...!

Learning at any stage in life is always beneficial, it totally depends on what you want to do with your life. If you want to get a steady job, then a college degree is almost essential nowadays. However, if you are more of an entrepreneur, then self taught is fine, and keep on learning.

$57,000 is a lot of money to invest if you don't know what your goals and job offerings that will result from the degree will be. Do a little more research into what sort of jobs you can get with this degree, or do the reverse and choose the job you would like to have and see what most of the educational requirements are.

You could also see a career advisor at a community college.

Thanks Virtual. My goal is to begin Freelancing. Reasoning for thinking school is to have someone to lean on for direction. Not only that but to assist in learning mobile, javascript and Content Management. Being self taught - I do not know where I should be right now in regards to my studies. Am I not learning enough - quick enough? Lot of questions I am still contemplating. Thanks as always for your input -

Brian

I'd seriously consider your options before taking the plunge -- $57,000 is a lot of money, and you're talking about 3+ years of your life. I have no personal experience with Full Sail specifically, but what I'm finding at the moment with my college experience is that it makes sense to go to school for design related stuff (graphic design specifically) -- to learn that requires a lot of practice and it's helpful to have a community of other beginning designers and professors as a resource. Going to school for coding/computer science seems to make less sense, since I'm finding a lot of this stuff I can learn faster and more efficiently on my own, especially if I'm actively interested in the subject. The web industry changes so fast, it seems like the best places to learn this stuff is online by reading blogs, doing tutorials, etc. A lot of the web design related classes that I've taken -- at least in my case -- have offered old/out of date information and in some cases teaches bad practices.

Personally, I'd hold off of the Full Sail option and look at alternatives like perhaps attending a community college class or two, plus a subscription to something like the KS University, Lynda.com or TutsPlus (http://tutsplus.com/plus-program/net-plus/).

I will also mention that freelancing doesn't necessarily require any schooling at all -- you just have to be comfortable with your skill level and know how to sell yourself to bring in clients. I started freelancing several years ago (though it isn't my primary source of income) without any actual schooling (though I am going to school at the moment), and I'm not having any issues finding clients. I also don't think there is a "right" way to learn, nor necessarily a specific speed you should be learning things -- that will depend on the person and how they learn.

Falken said

Going to school for coding/computer science seems to make less sense....The web industry changes so fast, it seems like the best places to learn this stuff is online by reading blogs, doing tutorials, etc.

I totally agree with Ben's comment, I found the same thing.

and

it makes sense to go to school for design related stuff (graphic design specifically)

Here again I agree, there are also different branches of graphic design and different essential software that need to be mastered.

It really all depends on your personal goals.

I'd seriously consider your options before taking the plunge -- $57,000 is a lot of money, and you're talking about 3+ years of your life. I have no personal experience with Full Sail specifically, but what I'm finding at the moment with my college experience is that it makes sense to go to school for design related stuff (graphic design specifically) -- to learn that requires a lot of practice and it's helpful to have a community of other beginning designers and professors as a resource. Going to school for coding/computer science seems to make less sense, since I'm finding a lot of this stuff I can learn faster and more efficiently on my own, especially if I'm actively interested in the subject. The web industry changes so fast, it seems like the best places to learn this stuff is online by reading blogs, doing tutorials, etc. A lot of the web design related classes that I've taken -- at least in my case -- have offered old/out of date information and in some cases teaches bad practices.

Personally, I'd hold off of the Full Sail option and look at alternatives like perhaps attending a community college class or two, plus a subscription to something like the KS University, Lynda.com or TutsPlus (http://tutsplus.com/plus-program/net-plus/).

I will also mention that freelancing doesn't necessarily require any schooling at all -- you just have to be comfortable with your skill level and know how to sell yourself to bring in clients. I started freelancing several years ago (though it isn't my primary source of income) without any actual schooling (though I am going to school at the moment), and I'm not having any issues finding clients. I also don't think there is a "right" way to learn, nor necessarily a specific speed you should be learning things -- that will depend on the person and how they learn.

Thanks Ben. $57k is a lot and if no full financial aid available - it is a scary # ($54k for tuition and $2900 for a new Mac and Adobe Masters Collection - I have Web Premium). I am thinking about joining KS university as this is the site that I have followed during my studies from day1. I have studied on lynda.com as well. The podcasts held by Stefan are excellent and the feed back from the KS community is wonderful (I would like to thank everyone especially Stefan, yourself, Virtual, Eric, Wickham, Newseed, & LM for your support here)

I find myself daily on Smashing Magazine, Tripwire magazine, Web Design Ledger, Wed Designer Depot, Vandelay Design/blog and designm.ag following and studying all the latest trends. Being a year in my studies I would think I would be further along than where I am - (I am just now working on my 1st project) . I am going to look into community college like you mentioned for design / graphics. I am a fan of David Airey and Jason Santa Maria and follow them and their blogs - and would like to do so with you as well if ok. (I think what I am also missing is a little guidance). With Freelancing - I have a ton of articles I have to review when I get to the them regarding Freelancing. I also just purchased the book "A Project Guide To UX Design). I look forward to this field and challenge. I think the one benefit I have is working in the corporate field of Hospitality (Hotels) most of my life. So I have learned some business aspects as well as on how to handle customers / clients. Thanks again for your input - always greatly appreciated!

Brian

Edited by NuCoder

Being a year in my studies I would think I would be further along than where I am - (I am just now working on my 1st project)

Nothing wrong with that. It takes some time to get started when everything is so new. I've found the more you learn, the easier it gets.

I think what I am also missing is a little guidance

Well, feel free to post when you have questions, or PM me or one of the other advanced members. I don't know everything, but I'm happy to help out where I can.