Any way to overlay a transparent image entirely from the stylesheet?

blowfly123

I want to lay a transparent PNG over some images but because the images are being generated by a WordPress plug-in I can't really add the PNG with html. I want to do something like:

.image-box {background:url(img/gradient.png);z-index:1000;position:relative}

Or something like that but with the "background" image actually appearing on top of the jpg. Any way that anyone can see to do that?

Hey that's great! One thing I should have mentioned is that this is to style some menu buttons and overlaying the PNG is blocking the clickability of the images below. How do I make the :before image not have any interference with the href below?

OK, then you could say...

a:before {

content:url(image.jpg);

position:absolute;

}

image.jpg

Thanks. I had to hack a plugin a little bit to add the extra link (with the class "subpages-overlay") but it's almost working. In FireFox (mac and pc) the overlay image seems shifted about 18px to the right but not in safari, IE, or chrome. If you have a moment nd want to see if you can spot the problem that would be awesome. This is a godaddy preview thing so it's not impossible that the preview feature is screwing it up. It's here:

http://tinyurl.com/ykvvpm4

(log in with guest as the username and pass)

And the css is at that link plus /wp-content/themes/21c/style.css

.subpages-table {width:1006px}
.subpages-cell {float:left; text-align:center; padding-top:0px; width:239px; height:271px; margin:5px}
.subpages-overlay:before {
content:url(img/film-gradient-lg.png);
position:absolute;
}
.subpages-cell, .subpages-cell a {font-family:Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif; font-size:small; text-decoration:none; color:#7c98ae}
.subpages-cell img{margin: 75px auto;}

.subpages-cell a:hover {text-decoration:none; color:#000099}
.subpages-text {margin-top:-290px;  font-weight:bold}

>    </pre>
<table>
Feature Films
Live Events
Advertising
Sports</table>

I'm afraid I don't understand. :/ I dropped this in and styled it the way you suggested: . When I tried to just style the 'a' it didn't work for me (maybe conflicting with something in the plug-in, but I would expect this to work too. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

And the username and password are both 'guest' I just tested it and it worked...

Ok I simplified it a lot. I got rid of the tables and the overall wrapper, plus the extra class in the link. So now it's:

.subpages-cell {float:left; text-align:center; padding-top:0px; width:239px; height:271px; margin:5px}
.subpages-cell a:before {
content:url(img/film-gradient-lg.png);
position:absolute;}
.subpages-cell {font-family:Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif; font-size:small; text-decoration:none; color:#7c98ae}
.subpages-cell img{margin: 75px auto;}
.subpages-cell a:hover {text-decoration:none; color:#000099}
.subpages-text {margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:-20px; font-weight:bold}
.subpages-excerpt {margin-top:-20px;  width:229px; text-align:left; margin-left:5px; margin-right:5px}

Feature Films

xxxx

Is there some way that firefox handles the absolute position that's different from other browsers? Could it just be interference from the godaddy previewdns junk? It's so strange!

Edited by blowfly123

OK, give me the same thing, but with the absolute path of your images included. I'm having trouble picturing the exact position of what your after. With your images I'll compare to the other browsers and then hopefully be able to fix FX for you...

Cool! Here's one of the images that appears in the html:

http://tinyurl.com/yfj2cv6

and here's the framing png that gets overlayed in the css:

http://tinyurl.com/yhxbvvr

just for reference, here's how it looks in all non-FF browsers for me:

Screenshot_2.png

looks good. The PNG frame gets dropped in place so that the jpg shows through the window...

and here's ff:

Screenshot_1.png

you can see how the frame is shifted, leaving a little space to the right of the photo and just sort of messing things up.

Does this give you want your looking for? Try changing the margin to this. Before this change, IE8 looked the same as FX, however Safari looked dif like you wanted. This change seems to make them appear the same.

.subpages-cell {

margin:5px 10px 5px 0;

}

Edited by Eric