Website takes 404s to index -- why?

Andrea

On my site

aa ndbwe bdesign.com

for some reason, any what should be "page not found" (and what still was only a little while ago when I had the hack issues) goes right to the index page. I know I didn't do that. I checked .htaccess, and there is nothing in that.

Before I yell at the host - does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

If I go to that site (with www. after http://) it loads an index page and if I go to another page like about and then back to Home it loads index.php WITHOUT the www. Index.php with the www. is also live.

Why do you think index.php should be "not found"?

Note that index.htm and index.html and index.txt and index.inc are also live so it looks as if any extension is live, so that could be a .htaccess issue

Edited by Wickham

I don't think index should not be found - but last time I checked, when you tried to go someplace that didn't exist, you went to a 'not found' page. Now it's taking me to the index instead. That's not really a problem, but I find it odd and since I don't recall having done anything and my .htaccess is empty, I'm just curious if someone had any idea what could cause this - other than my host messing around with my stuff again.

I only have index.php. But none of the others exist - so normally, they should be 404 page not found.

However - since any non-existing page takes you to the index, it may appear that I have all those index files (I don't).

Try whatever.html - and you'll again end up at index - which is what this question is all about.

Adding on:

.htaccess is the first thing I checked, and it is totally BLANC

I have no idea. But I emphasize. Not that you have one, but I just got the worst virus again over the weekend. In order to install my new printer, it suggested I turn off my antvirus, only I forgot to turn it on later. Aside from exploiding my computer with scan now popups, eventually it blocked me from opening all programs (antivirus ones too!), even if I renamed them. Even prevented me from opening my task manager, so I couldn't even turn off the viruses .exe's in order to try to regain control. It was a ten hour war that I finally won. Comofix was my fix! Then I ran all my other antiviruses to fully clean them out (Malwarebytes and Webroot).

I was really happy with this host until a couple or so weeks ago. First this phishing thing that they never explained. NOw this.

And I did post a service request and the answer was that my sites were functioning fine. That has NOTHING to do with the issue I posted. A direct reply got ignored, and I just posted a whole new request asking again. We'll see what happens. They are cheap and offer a lot of stuff for the money, Service has been great - but lately, it's getting ridiculous.

@Eric, I thought you were a Mac user?

not yet - someday! I have another boy on the way (that's three), so that could be awhile. For now, I've just gave my xp a facelift. 20 inch screen, new mouse pad, and a all-n-one printer. That should do for awhile. Problem is, programs are getting more and more resource intense these days, and my xp is strugling.

Edited by Eric

For what? The all-in-one printer or the boy? ;)
He already has 2 boys :lol:

So I chatted with my host, and that girl fixed it (after I had sent 3 emails during the day that got read, but nothing was ever done. she still would not tell me what happened. All she said was that 'my htaccess was blank' - which is was, but that does not make 404s act differently - and besides, it's still blank after her 'fix'.

So yes, a new host is definitely in my considerations around renewal time (or around the next issue like this.)

• 1 year later...