Portal site

Mobus

Hello all,

I've been studying web design for a little while now and a friend has asked me to put a site together for him but im not sure how to go about it. Its for his numerous music projects that he's involved in, old and new, so he said that he wants a portal site so he can have links to an archive section and other things that he's done and so he can update it himself.

Could someone tell me how diffivult it is to put together a portal site or how you go about it please. he wants to include mp3s of his music too, i think i may be getting out of my depth but he said he is in no hurry so he's happy for me to try.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Phil

Wordpress is nice and easy to set up, but depending on how complex his site is going to be you may need something more hefty. For example when you say a portal site, does this mean he needs to have user interaction like a forum, private downloads, etc. ? If the site is going to pretty simple and he's the only one adding content then Wordpress may do the the trick. If he needs user interaction, a forum, private downloads, etc etc you may want to go with something like Drupal.

thanks for the replies, i think we're going to keep it simple for now, but as i learn more and gain confidence/experience i'd like to add a forum and downloads etc.

thanks again

Phil

Then I would recommend you start with something that you can eventually scale up, especially if you anticipate growing and expanding what the site will offer.

You will need to check out different hosting services to see which plan will suit your purposes best. There are differences in prices depending on the space, the size of transfer, number of databases and email accounts. However you can usually start out small and upgrade as the need arises.