toggle menu- from the course

amitte

hallo there..

i have been trying to create the toggle menu that was explaind by stefan in the JS basic course.

the result- the onOff button work just fine. The problem is in the "list" function- instead of returning the "text" var it returns

the whole code that inside the function.

this is the JS code

function about_spin() {

var topics = new Array();

topics[0] = "about";
   topics[1] = "zayin";
   topics[2] = "katan";
   topics[3] = "shelcha";

var taxt="";

for (var i = 0; i < topics.length; i++)

{
   text = text + topics[i];    
   }

return text;
}

var onOff = "off";

function insertAbout()
{
   if (onOff == "off")
   {
       var ulist = document.getElementById("aboutTopics");
       var aboutSpin = about_spin;
       ulist.innerHTML=aboutSpin;
       onOff = "on";
}

else 
   {
       var ulist = document.getElementById("aboutTopics");
       var aboutSpin = "";
       ulist.innerHTML=aboutSpin;
       onOff = "off";

}

} 

this is the html code-

bla bla 
 bla bla 

???? ????? 

about

If I understand what you are trying to do, I believe this code works the way you want it to (I removed some of the extranious code in the HTML section, you can add that back in):

>

Test page

<br />        function about_spin() {<br />    <br />            var topics = new Array();<br />            topics[0] = "about";<br />            topics[1] = "zayin";<br />            topics[2] = "katan";<br />            topics[3] = "shelcha";<br />    <br />            var text="";<br />    <br />            for (var i = 0; i < topics.length; i++)<br />            {<br />                text = text + topics[i];    <br />            }<br />    <br />            return text;<br />        }<br /><br /><br />        var onOff = "off";<br /><br />        function insertAbout()<br />        {<br />            if (onOff == "off")<br />            {<br />                var ulist = document.getElementById("aboutTopics");<br />                var aboutSpin = about_spin();<br />                ulist.innerHTML=aboutSpin;<br />                onOff = "on";<br />            }<br />            else <br />            {<br />                var ulist = document.getElementById("aboutTopics");<br />                var aboutSpin = "";<br />                ulist.innerHTML=aboutSpin;<br />                onOff = "off"; <br />            }<br />        } <br />    

</pre>
<ul>
about

</ul>
<br><br

I think the main change that I did that should fix your sample is this line in your code (in the insertAbout() method):

var aboutSpin = about_spin;

needs to be:

var aboutSpin = about_spin();

The parentheses at the end are important, because that's what indicates to Javascript that you're calling a function, rather than just assigning it a value of a variable.

For future reference, one way to bugcheck if you are having issues is use the statement

alert("alert"); 

within your code, to make sure functions are being called properly. For example, when testing your code, I added that line twice -- once at the top of insertAbout() method, and once in the about_spin() method. That way, I could confirm that both were being run properly. I got an alert for the insertAbout() method when I clicked on the text, which told me that it was working correctly, but I didn't get an alert for the about_spin() method, which indicated that it wasn't being called correctly, so the code was never running. That helped me find the error.

thank u very much... now its just fine!..

however,

i have onther problem, when the function "insertAbout" turns off again i have an extra unexplaind margin betwin the

items.

exept from the first loading of the page.. or after refreshing of course..

why?