How to stop page elements from selecting and moving around

aussie11

Hey to all

I am building my first attempt in DW 8. I have had it for so long but never really used it.

I find that when I select one layer and move it around, other layers have magically selected themselves

as well and moved around after I have spent hours with guides and grids to get them pixel perfect.

Is there a way to lock the contents of layers to they cannot be accidentally moved please?

Also when I go to select a layer that, for example may be toward the left of the page and down low

the DW page jumps to a position on the page which is nowhere near where I wanted to be. It is very

annoying having to scroll vert and horizontal all of the time trying to find the spot where I left off.

Is this some kind of setting I have turn on or off, or just a bug in DW8.?

Thanks for your help

aussie

The thing with Dreamweaver's "layers' functionality is that it really doesn't belong in web design... it attempts to replicate the functionality of layers in Photoshop/Illustrator/etc. Basically, it creates absolutely positioned divs that use really messy coding -- it'll be a huge pain to edit the code in anything other than Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG functionality.

If you look at professional design practices, layers -- at least the kind used by Dreamweaver -- aren't used. You really aren't going to find tutorials on how to use them, unless they are Dreamweaver specific tutorials that specifically discuss the "feature." If I was given a site based in layers to edit significantly, I'd strongly consider recoding from scratch, depending on the scope of the project.

You'd be much better off actually learning the basics of coding and positioning... If you're looking for a place to start, I'd look at:

http://www.killersites.com/web-design/

http://www.w3schools.com/Css/css_positioning.asp