Killersites Community
peterK

wordpress vs. coding from scratch

Question

Hi Steph,

Keep up the awesome content on YouTube!

I am currently in a two-year Web and Software Developer program at my local community college learning things like HTML/CSS, Java, JavaScript, SQL, web server administration, etc., and I would like to become a freelance web developer with my wife who is a graphic designer. My question is, would it generally be better to use a CMS like WordPress in developing websites for small businesses, or would it be better for me to make the websites from scratch using something like PHP/Laravel?

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

Hi,

Depends on the nature of the site. If it is a simple branding site, with a few little extra features here and there, then I would lean wordpress. If the customer site was more specialized, then Laravel would be the better choice. 

Sounds like a good partnership with your wife! 

Stef

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 6:50 PM, administrator said:

Hi,

Depends on the nature of the site. If it is a simple branding site, with a few little extra features here and there, then I would lean wordpress. If the customer site was more specialized, then Laravel would be the better choice. 

Sounds like a good partnership with your wife! 

Stef

Yup @administrator you are too good to help, and peter you have a partnership with your wife right then it's too good to handle any type of project. I hope you get an achievement at the Starting of small Business.