Interactive Word Developer course - wordpress and its impact?

Placebo

Hi!

I have more of a general question and thought that it maybe might suit this area of the forum best:

I have started to study computerscience and it will be beneficial to know some html, css, js, php in the future semesters plus I find it obviously interesting myself. So I have got your IWD course and am convinced it will help me. On the side, I plan to do some online freelancing work, once Im good enough in Web dev.

On the major online freelancing sites, indeed a ton of gig offers are nowadays in using wordpress and no more in using traditional web dev fundamental languages, which might be Intuitively viewn lil sad, but it is what it is.^^

I just wonder therefore, how or is it even beneficial to be competent in the traditional language to do online sidejobs, in terms of building simple pages for people, when regards to this field all/so much seems to be only wordpress nowadays, when we talk "for real"?

Also I really love the course so far a lot and I do like the structure. With your loooong experience, I would think that you also have a deeper solid theoretical knowledge. I wonder if you ever thought about doing some courses which are tailored and targeted towards people who study comp science, in order to help them out in pushing their leaning curves?
Maybe a course in something regards to theoretical informatics or data structures & algorithms or general software engineering courses, would come into my mind...also a java course would be great. I am living in Germany and here Java is and many experts think will stay for a very long time number 1 programming-language when it comes to popularity amongst enterprises and companies. I have no clue as what the situation regards to this context is in the USA, but at least in Europe Java still seems to be very up, so that it is even the second programming language which you must take on on my university. So yeah, a java course would be also fantastic^^

Anyways, again - great course and YT-channel so far, thus keep the great work up!:)

Best regards,

Placebo:)

2 hours ago, Placebo said:

On the major online freelancing sites, indeed a ton of gig offers are nowadays in using wordpress and no more in using traditional web dev fundamental languages, which might be Intuitively viewn lil sad, but it is what it is.^^

Yes indeed. I've teaching about this for years. Knowing the foundations of coding will make you much better with Wordpress because at some point you will be working with code. And knowing code will give you a deep understanding you would have otherwise.

The IWD course will kickstart your career either way. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wordpress certainly has changed the game. I've built several of my own sites with Wordpress over the years (from 2010 onwards) but without knowing any code, just using their (free and paid) themes right out the box.  BUT....I still found it necessary to learn very basic HTML tags and a little CSS over the years in order to do basic customization on a site, or even do simple things (for example make a sales page look nicer with content boxes/tables/etc).

My point? Wordpress themes are great but still have some limitations for those who can't code. Hence, the need for coders, ie us, to step in and help. Plus, I'm pretty scrappy. Many people are not. They run a business/freelance/whatever and have no interest/desire to try to venture into building their own site, even if it's with Wordpress or a site builder, for that matter. And of course, over time, I've had a few major tech issues crop up that I had to hire a developer to go into the file manager and deal with (wasn't brave enough to venture there). Now, once I've completed Stefan's courses and practiced, I will be brave enough. There's always use for foundational coding knowledge even with (especially with) Wordpress.