Silly article proving threat of Internet connected printers

LSW

This whole fighting for YouTube ratings seems rather silly to me (I know, some make money), but I am old school. But this also shows the dangers of everything being on the Internet and why you should separate your network into one for your PC's and one for everything else.

Someone Hacked 50,000 Printers to Promote PewDiePie YouTube Channel

https://thehackernews.com/2018/11/pewdiepie-printer-hack.html

This may sound crazy, but it’s true!

The war for "most-subscribed Youtube channel" crown between T-Series and PewDiePie just took an interesting turn after a hacker yesterday hijacked more than 50,000 internet-connected printers worldwide to print out flyers asking everyone to subscribe to PewDiePie YouTube channel.

PewDiePie, whose real name is Felix Kjellberg, is a famous YouTuber from Sweden known for his game commentary and pranks and has had the most subscribers on YouTube since 2013.

However, the channel owned by Bollywood record label T-Series has been catching up in recent months, and now both are hovering around 72.5 million YouTube subscribers.

From this fear that PewDiePie won't remain the number one most-subscribed YouTuber in the world, an anonymous hacker (probably his die-hard fan) with the Twitter username "TheHackerGiraffe" came up with a hackish idea.

TheHackerGiraffe scanned the Internet to find the list of vulnerable printers with port 9100 open using Shodan, a search engine for internet-connected devices and exploited them to spew out a message