How Do You Programmers Type?

Biske94

Hi everyone! I am conducting a research about styles of typing.

I have asked some great programmers and experienced ones like Larry Wall (creator of Perl), Robert C. Martin aka Uncle Bob, college professors about styles of typing.

I saw in one video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5S9LIT-hdc) Linus Torvalds touch typing but with his own style.

I do myself touch type but with my style, and I have nice speed and everything. Speed and accuracy is something that you build only by practice, practice and more practice. But one question concerns me, should we type in some particular style so we dont get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, repetitive strain injury or any other health problem ?

And thats when I decided to conduct research, to get answers from people who coded all their life and from people who are experienced. I will post my research on my website when I launch it. 

I would like if you guys want to be part of my research, as this can only benefit and help others, so we can improve ourself and also take care of ourselves.

So here it goes:

• Do you touch type?
  • If you touch type, do you do with your own style or you use 10 finger system?
  • Have you had any problems with your body(hands mostly or neck because of hunt and peck) while typing?

Thanks, Your input will mean to me and others!

• Like 1

Mine is more a hybrid 5 finger hunt and peck, first two fingers of each hand and one thumb.

I typed alright in high school, then 25 years in Germany doing the German keyboard and then back to 12 years on an English keyboard. I learned typing in English, but I learned coding in German. So typing emails I am faster, but typing in code, I still find myself going for the German keys on US keyboards so much more hunt and peck. I have a good speed for a modified two finger typer.

Have you ever heard this joke?: A boy stands in the study door watching his father peck away on a laptop. He then finds his mother in the kitchen typing away like a storm with all 10 fingers. He grunts and his mom looks up and asks him what he is grunting about. "I thought you were good at typing. But dad is better, he only needs two fingers."

Cheers!

• Like 1

Nice! Thank you LSW for your input! :)

Hahaha

17 hours ago, LSW said:

Have you ever heard this joke?: A boy stands in the study door watching his father peck away on a laptop. He then finds his mother in the kitchen typing away like a storm with all 10 fingers. He grunts and his mom looks up and asks him what he is grunting about. "I thought you were good at typing. But dad is better, he only needs two fingers."

Hahaha I didnt, but a nice one!

Since I transferred from PC with keyboard to laptop, I've been typing all kinds of ways. Still learning where some keys are and trying to remember them, didn't really like the option of using laptop with external keyboard. For now I use 3 fingers on left hand and 2 fingers on right hand, let's see will that change :P 

Cheers

• Like 1