Killersites Community
woodse889

Is a computer science degree required to become a mobile app developer?

Question

I'm graduating high school next year. I want to pursue a career as a mobile application developer. I know the basics of it. Do I have to get a computer science degree after school? Will I get a good job if I take up this course on mobile application developinginstead? Aren't both the same? Will there be any difference in the pay scale? 

2 answers to this question

Depends on the company you are working for. Check job listings and see what they are looking for in terms of education. 

Hi woodse889,

As Stefan mentioned, the answer really depends. If you are seeking to work for a major corporation, they usually require some kind of collegiate degree (maybe a 2 year degree...in the US, we call that an Associates degree) all the way up to a four year Bachelor's degree.

However, that does not mean that YOU cannot begin making your own mobile applications and promoting them yourself. If you do that route, then the course of action you may follow is to create apps that generate a lot of interest by folks, who will give great feedback on the quality of your app and when you decide to apply for corporate jobs, although you may not have any college experience, you WILL have a portfolio of completed, working applications that have garnered some positive feedback.

My strong suggestion is: whether you decide to seek a college degree or not, write code every day in the platform you enjoy...with or without a college degree, there is NO substitute to good coding experience.

Hope this helps...

Don

• Like 1