Divi elementor beaver

Hafid

Hi everyone, I've been following the web dev courses and am now learning from the web projects made by Ben Falk. I recently discovered that you could easily make websites with wordpress site builders such Divi, Elementor or Beaver. This raises a question for me because I don't have experience with these yet. I may be totally wrong but if you use one of these site builders, are you stuck with it ? Meaning if you need to add features not supported, are you still able to code it and will the site builder support your code ?

Let's say you create your site with one of them and later want to add a database or you need to make a web app, is it a problem with these site builders ?

Is it preferable to code your entire site or is it ok to use just these site builders and not having to code at all ?

Thanks for any info you might have on this :)

On 5/5/2018 at 3:37 PM, Hafid said:

I may be totally wrong but if you use one of these site builders, are you stuck with it ?

No really. You could always download the site generated by the site builders if you ever wanted to move of their platform. 

On 5/5/2018 at 3:37 PM, Hafid said:

Meaning if you need to add features not supported, are you still able to code it and will the site builder support your code ?

Yes.

I've built sites using Divi and other such builders, and it is possible to customize sites built on those platforms. Depending on your needs, you'll likely find that you will need to make styling or layout adjustments. No site builder is perfect and you likely won't find something that matches 100% with what you want to do. Most site builders have specific APIs or expectations for how changes are made. At least in my experience, even if you use a site builder plugin, it's rare that you won't have to code anything at all.

The downside with site builders is that they often try to do too much -- they try to be the solution to every possible problem, and it results in sites that are over-engineered and slow to download. You'll potentially wind up with a site that only uses 20% of the theme builder's functionality, but 100% of all the downsides. I generally prefer to custom build my sites, using the Advanced Custom Fields plugin to provide the editing interface for the various content blocks that make up the site.

In general, you won't be able to export out the code that these Wordpress-based site builders generate -- they rely on Wordpress and Wordpress' editing interface in order to work. I suppose you could manually download each page as HTML and piece the file structure together, but that's a significant amount of work and you'll lose the ability to easily edit the content or change functionality. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, falkencreative said:

I've built sites using Divi and other such builders, ...you'll lose the ability to easily edit the content or change functionality. 

1. Can we say these Wordpress site builders appear to be analogous to Dreamweaver?

2. Who tends to gravitate towards Wordpress site builder's?

3. Are we taught about these site builders or Wordpress in Stef's courses?