Editing in Dreamweaver

harrieko12

dear all,

I'm pretty new in the website designing. I'm building my own site but since yesterday I 'm not able to edit/change any of my pages. Pictures [gif/jpeg] I add to a page show in DW, but when I push the F12 button, it doesn't show any change. On any page. I tried different sizes of dpi, make a whole new page, but nothing.

I'm really a design mode builder, and code makes a little sense. I followed the tutorials from Killersites, but I'm at a loss. Where could the problem be: In the picture data, the designof the page, could I maybe have deleted a code? I don't know where to start to locate the problem.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks, Harry

I make my pictures [drawings or photos with added text] in Illustrator. Before the problem, they were all drawings 'save for web' as a gif-image. The photos [jpeg] are also imported in Illustrator and saved for web. I did two pictures the same way in the beginning and those worked. Also, when I preview in IE I see the size of the image and the red cross in the top left corner. So can it be a browser thing?

What do you mean with define? The website is: www.harrykoopman.nl.

Thanks, Harry

OK, found an example page: http://www.harrykoopman.nl/hkartwork.htm

Here's the code for the image:

lostsouls#1groot.gif

As I thought, the reason it isn't showing up is because the link is wrong in some way. I'm not sure where you've uploaded that file, but the link is wrong. You'll need to figure out where you uploaded the file (are you sure you uploaded it in the first place?) and add the right path.

Defining a site in DW means setting up the site on your local computer so that all your links point to the folder in which you store all your files, css, html and jpg or gif. It also means entering all the information and passwords so that with one click you connect to your hosting server and upload all the info you have in your defined folder as and when you need to.

If you did not save your images to your folder and then did not upload them to the server, DW will not display them.

lostsouls#1groot.gif

What you are telling the browser in the above statement is to look in folder "www", then folder "hk", then folder "fotooshk" and finally find the name of your image which is "lostsouls#1groot.gif". So the path to your image is wrong.

In Dreamweaver, there are 2 ways to link to your file from the Preview Panel, the one below the main file, if you do not know how to write the code yourself. After the input box where it says "Link" you can either browse to find the file by clicking on the folder icon or drag the "twirly icon" to the file in the "Files" panel. The Twirly icon is just in front of the folder icon.

Most people use a folder called "img" or "images" and put all their images into that folder which can also be divided into subfolders for different classes of image.

Edited by virtual

Sorry about that, Ben is quite right, I was looking at the wrong panel I don't use them myself.

The link box in this case would be used to make the image a clickable link to an html fle. If you connect the twirl from the Source box to the jpg file your images should show in the browser.

Hello,

still trying ,but no luck. What would an ideal link or path look like in my case. To me it just mentions the name of the subfolders. Or is that too long? Now I've got the main folder[harrykoopman] on my desktop. in there the www-folder and in there the afbeeldingen [images] -folder. I twirled all the images, so It should be ok in my opinion. Still no luck. In my site definition menu I set my default image folder to the above folder. Should be ok?

I wish websites could be made out of wood...

Thanks

Well how can you save your images to a file without naming them? If if they don't have a name how can your html link to them? It doesn't matter what you use, numbers or something else, but they have to be called something!

A simple path would look like this

description of image

only if you are linking from say index.html file, which is in your website folder which also contains a folder called "images".

Now I've got the main folder[harrykoopman] on my desktop. in there the www-folder and in there the afbeeldingen [images] -folder.
and where in there (in which folder precisely) is the html file you're trying to put the images in?

hello,

sorry, I meant the image name in the properties bar on the left. I named my file images, but here it seems I have to do it again. In code it will say 'image1, 2 or 3', so it doesn't seem crucial.

The html-files are all in the www-folder, next to the images folder.

Could I copy paste the code of the hkartwork html-file in this topic? That's where all the problems are. Maybe somebody can have a look at it. Or would I take up to much space and time?

thank you, Harry

If you have 3 images it is OK to name them "image1.jpg", "image2.jpg", "image3.jpg", but that is done in your graphics program, not in DW, and the images saved to your images folder within your website folder.

Your html files and more importantly your index.html file should be in the root folder.

The root folder is the one you call harrykoopman and your html files should be directly in this folder not in a subfolder called www. Next you have an images folder in the harrykoopman folder and so the link from your html files to the images would be as follows:

description of image

It is best to provide a link to your website, that way we can look at the code directly. However, if the paths to your files are incorrect or the files are not uploaded we will get error messages.

I moved all files to the root folder and emptied the www folder. Now in the root folder i have the: images, etc, logs, mail,templates, webstats and the empty www [can't remove this one] folders. Next to all html's including the index. It looks like it got worse. The preview shows nothing anymore. Apparently the browser can't find my index anymore...

I moved all files to the root folder and emptied the www folder. Now in the root folder i have the: images, etc, logs, mail,templates, webstats and the empty www [can't remove this one] folders. Next to all html's including the index. It looks like it got worse. The preview shows nothing anymore. Apparently the browser can't find my index anymore...

You have to keep all your files within the www folder in order for your server to see them... so you'd better move them back.

If I understand your directory structure correctly, assuming your html files are all within the "www" folder, in order to link to the image folder correctly, you'd need to use:

imagename.jpg

Hello,

I am new member of this forum and just started to create a website in Dreamweaver CS4.I am doing self studing which is pretty hard, and I don't know how to insert an image next to another and how to insert a background colour in the menu bar. HOME | ABOUT US | LOCATIONS | PRODUCTS | RECIPES | SITE SEARCH | ORDER ONLINE | CONTACT US

Hello,

I am new member of this forum and just started to create a website in Dreamweaver CS4.I am doing self studing which is pretty hard, and I don't know how to insert an image next to another and how to insert a background colour in the menu bar. HOME | ABOUT US | LOCATIONS | PRODUCTS | RECIPES | SITE SEARCH | ORDER ONLINE | CONTACT US

Hey Twitty. How about you start a new topic, rather than adding to this one, so we can help you?

• 3 weeks later...

hello everybody

Best wishes. A fresh start in the new year to get to the bottom of the problem. My Target browser check shows three different sentences:

IMG tag is missing required attribute alt,

the scope attribute is not supported, but it has no detrimental effect and

the onMouseOut attribute of the A tag is not supported.

It doesn't make any sense to me, but could it be part of my problem? Could anybody explain what this means?

Thanks Harry

Hello,

Second question. My first layer with table and buttons/images appears in the browser, my second layer with table and images doesn't. By trying to comprehend the code by looking at both layers, they should be more or less alike, accept for images names and size. Is that correct? When I click on an image in Layer1 it shows below

. Where do these refer to?

Thank you