Need Help With Mass Mail or Bulk Mail

jbwebdesign

I am trying to create a script that emails about 10,000 different emails.........i want to email the same message to them all.......does anyone have any ideas on how i can do this?

my script is as follows.......... where it says to, I have all 10,000 email addresses and when i hit send it gives me an error.....

how ever when i send to only 1 or 2 different emails it works fine.........

<?php

// Contact subject

$subject = $_POST['subject'];

// Details

$message=$_POST['text'];

// Mail of sender

$mail_from=$_POST['email'];

// From

$header="from: <$mail_from>";

// Enter your email address

$to =$_POST['send_txt'];

$send_contact=mail($to,$subject,$message,$header);

// Check, if message sent to your email

// display message "We've recived your information"

if($send_contact){

echo "your message has been sent";

echo "

Your message was sent to:

$to";

}

else {

echo "ERROR, Please contact the Web Developer of this Website!";

}

?>

My guess is that most hosts won't allow you to send that many emails because of spam reasons -- they can't be sure what your intent is. Mass emails probably should be done through Campaigner, Mail Chimp or Constant Contact, rather than via PHP's mail() function. My guess is that if you own your own dedicated server and have total administrative control, you may be able to do this, but not on the average hosting plan.

oh okay.....thanks for the info...........how would i find out how many emails i can send though? you see I am working on a non for profit organizations website and they host raffles and they have an emailing list of about 10,000 people so i want to send out the email of the winning ticket number.

oh okay.....thanks for the info...........how would i find out how many emails i can send though?

I really don't know how to test for that... it'll depend on the host, probably. You'd need to contact them.

That said, you really should be using a proper email campaign monitor like I mentioned above. Sure, it won't be free, but it will be less hassle for you, provide a more professional appearance and people have the option to opt out if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest expertis

Hi jbwebdesign,

I would strongly suggest looking into using the PHP Mailer (phpmailer.sf.net) library for PHP. It might be overkill, but it allows you to use local sendmail or external SMTP servers, plus a lot of other great features. We have a client who emails contest entrants and their list is around 15,000 right now.

You could have issues with ISP's seeing too much mail traffic go through. This can be reduced by sending small batches of mail, then pausing for a period of time before submitting the next batch. The only other recommendation is making sure the list is as clean as possible.

Regards,

Spencer