PHP course on Ubuntu

lgc93

Hi everyone, I'm currently on Chapter 4 of the PHP course and I'm having problems following up everything since I'm using ubuntu linux instead of a mac or windows pc. As a result, I can't install MAMP and I've had to try a couple of alternatives (LAMP and XAMPP) but neither seem to be similar enough to the MAMP that Stef uses in his videos (LAMP doesn't seem to have a user interface at all and XAMPP doesn't have a simple user friendly UI like MAMP does, which allows you to search files , like Stef does in lesson 2 chapt. 4 in order to find php.ini). Is there a better MAMP alternative for ubuntu? Also, when I search my computer, I have 3 different php.ini files in the following directories:

/opt/lampp/etc

/etc/php/7.0/apache2

/etc/php/7.0/cli

Which one of the three am I meant to modify so that I can enable error messages? All of them have restricted writing permissions ("You are not the owner so you cannot change these permissions"). 

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Ok, it's fine now, I've managed to fix it, turns out I was modifying the wrong part of the document, I have now activated the displaying of errors! If anyone has any tips on a good ubuntu alternative for MAMP that is as close as possible to the original one, that would still be great, but otherwise it's all fine!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...