Hello world!

JAMJAR

Hi everyone I'm Jamjar (not my real name)  I'm from Manchester, England UK.

I'm currently on the wrong side of 40 <_< wondering what the hell am I doing..... (This is a young persons game right?) 

I've been trying to learn Python from books & online resources, today I've been pulling out (what's left of) my hair, I was about ready to call it a day, then on my YouTube feed was suggested one of Stefan's videos about learning to code over 40.

I decided it couldn't hurt to watch one last video before I succumbed to old age & bought myself a bag of werthers and a cardigan!

After watching the video I genuinely felt motivated, I left a comment & Stefan suggested his Python video course, anyway I've bought the course but don't think I'll start it until tomorrow as I'm ever so slightly stressed today.

My biggest problem to date in trying to learn python is I don't understand any of the terms used, I don't understand why I'm typing these seemingly odd words or what they do.....

But most of all I just don't seem to remember anything :(

Anyway thank you for reading and I hope I haven't bored you all too much and hopefully I wont irritate you with all my noob questions :rolleyes:

Oui!

Who are you suggesting is old here!? :huh:

I will have you note young whipper-snapper that I am in my 50s and entering Cybersecurity by golly! 40s, ha! Many here may consider me an @$$, but none think of me as an old @$$... at least I don't think so.

Seriously though, I don't think Stephan was Python when we met, he was a serious Java type. I think he is older than you, or at least close. Andrea will kill me if I suggest she is anything older than 29, then there was Limey, not sure where he disappeared, retired military, then got into IT. Actually I think you may fit in near the average age here. Not that many teens,  I would say that back in the 90s and early 2000s our average age was 30s.

So welcome to the forum and mind you don't trip over my walker young man.   :D

• Upvote 1

Hey LSW, 

I hope I haven't caused any offence :( 

I've just been very frustrated lately, I have no previous experience of computing or IT work, I can just about find my way around a keyboard :o

I've started watching Stefans videos and I'm shocked at how easily I'm starting to understand now.

Maybe I'm not too old after all? :P

Thanks for the warm welcome 

No, not at all. Found it funny considering yourself to old at 40 something. I think that age thing is a myth and a crutch used by older generations. Then again... what people see in social media is truly beyond me. Why would I care where you are or doing right now or what your food looks like. I am more interested in why you updating everyone that you are not home, come rob me? Maybe there is an age limit... anyone have a crutch I can borrow?

Python really is easy, you would not be feeling so positive if it were Java most likely. But once you comprehend one language, you will note traits in all others. Stef is a good teacher. I learned Python back in 2000 and used to write code in my head speaking it to get my kid to sleep, worked like a charm... even I fell asleep during it! I like Python and keep nagging my boss to ditch Java for it.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:34 AM, JAMJAR said:

My biggest problem to date in trying to learn python is I don't understand any of the terms used, I don't understand why I'm typing these seemingly odd words or what they do.....

Ahh  very common among the courses out there. Sadly, this is because most of the courses are not created by people who know how to teach. <_<

I know though from your email, you are doing well with my Python course.

Stef

• Upvote 1

On 14/02/2018 at 6:51 PM, administrator said:

I know though from your email, you are doing well with my Python course.

Stef

Hey Stef, I really am enjoying your python course I feel like I'm able to understand the terminologies much better with your analogies.

I'm taking my time with it though and really going through the videos slowly to make sure I am really 'getting it' and don't want to burn out by trying to cram too much into my brain in a shorter period of time.

I'm trying to do an hour or so a day at the moment but plan on upping my study time to 5-6 hours a day in the next couple of weeks.

A quick question though: How long would you estimate it will take me or the average person (with no previous computing skills) to become proficient with python?

Thanks for all your help 

Edited by JAMJAR
I'm British we make mistakes