FCC Head and Wireless Lobby Oppose U.S. Bid to Build a 5G Network

LSW

Although I consider Pi a Trump stooge for his actions destroying Net Neutrality, nice to see he is none simply a "Yes Man." He is at least picking the right side of this fight in my opinion. Of course this does not Verizon in any way like the Net Neutrality decision.

FCC Head and Wireless Lobby Oppose U.S. Bid to Build a 5G Network

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-29/u-s-is-said-to-consider-building-5g-network-amid-china-concerns

U.S. regulators and the wireless industry are pushing back against a plan under discussion by the Trump administration to build a secure 5G network -- possibly with government control -- amid concerns about China and cybersecurity.

The Republican head of the Federal Communications Commission also issued a statement in opposition to any government control, suggesting that the wireless industry is best positioned “to drive innovation and investment.”

"I oppose any proposal for the federal government to build and operate a nationwide 5G network,” said FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, who was appointed by President Donald Trump. “Any federal effort to construct a nationalized 5G network would be a costly and counterproductive distraction from the policies we need to help the United States win the 5G future."

The wireless industry also appeared to throw cold water on the plan with a leading trade group whose members include AT&T Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc. saying Monday it sees a competitive marketplace as the best option for ensuring the U.S. leads in 5G technology.

• Like 1