Big Monitor, Two Windows

Andrea

I think I want Santa to bring me a new computer. My old one is moving slower than I am. I definitely am a two-monitor girl - I mean, how else am I supposed to check email and my Facebook at the same time???? - so currently, I have 2 monitors and this works for me just perfectly. Can I get one big monitor, split the thing, and pretty much have the same two-monitor experience?

I do not even know what a 4K is, but so far, I think the 2-monitor way was easier to use when working between screens, but I think I'll get used to this split thing. However, the option to just have one HUGE display for certain things is definitely a huge plus.  I'll be keeping my hp Pavilion 32 (if I can get the freaking sound to work).....

Why do you want one monitor if

I have 2 monitors and this works for me just perfectly.

I looked at this issue this year. The "issues" i saw were

1. Desk space.
  2. Screen real estate.
  3. Price

I personally think a 2 monitor setup is ideal if you like to code while you watch coding videos. I'm not saying it's impossible to use one monitor for this activity, but reading code on one full screen as you type in another screen seems a lot easier.

Edited by MNS45
grammar and clarity

4K is another name for Ultra High Resolution. It is short for 400,000 pixels, although it is not quite that high, but close.

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-4k/

What it is is sweet! my TV is 4k.

I don't like laptops now because I have two monitors at work. But what I also do there is break up my work with virtual desktops. There are many out there but I use Dexpot which is a free one. My primary work is on desktop 1, my private email is on desktop 6 and batch processes I run are on desktop 2. so depending on what I want to do I just switch from one desktop top another.

5 hours ago, MNS45 said:

Why do you want one monitor if.....

I would have been just as happy keeping the 2 monitors I had, but husband really wanted to get me the 32 inch one....  Apparently, size does matter :-)

Overall, I'm ok with the one -monitor. I split the screens and can still code on one half and see what I did in the other half, just like before. It's still a bit messy with some windows on the right, some on the left, and some smack in the middle, but that's probably just a matter of getting used to it. (it certainly doesn't help that I usually have at least a dozen-and-a-half windows open....) And now I have the advantage of using the entire screen if I want to watch a video or something. And, like you said, more desk space - but my view is way more obstructed now.

Kyle - I'd be totally lost with just one window - I mean how else can you check Facebook and your email at the same time???? I'll have to look into Dexpot, maybe it's something that I can use, too.

You can buy a 20+ inch monitor that you can rotate 90 degrees and put it besides your 32 inch monitor.

But some people have issues using monitors of different sizes. And you'll still need a bit of space on your desk.

Seems like you want that extra monitor.

I still have the two smaller monitors I used before I got the 32", but for now, the 32" one is doing what I need. Plus, If I wanted to hook up a second monitor, I'd first need a bigger desk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...