No google presence - at all

Guest Grant Chatterton

Guest Grant Chatterton

Hello,

I've just finished setting up a landscape photography website after following the Web Design One course. It's on the web and I can access it if I type in the imaginatively titled url, ***. However, it does not appear (at all) in the google search results, even if I type in "Grant Chatterton" or "grantchatterton" or whatever. Is it simply a matter of waiting for the "googlebots" that I read about to crawl onto my website, or what? I'm not fussed, at this stage, about securing a high ranked listing in the google search results, but I do want it to at least APPEAR in the google listing.

Any thoughts?

Grant.

Most likely it's just a matter of waiting. How long has it been up? You said you've "just finished" it. It may take a month or so, especially if you don't have many links to your site from other sites on the web.

One thing that might help is to get yourself set up with Google's webmaster tools (http://www.google.com/webmasters/) and maybe Google Analytics while you are at it (http://www.google.com/analytics/). The webmaster's tools will allow you to upload an XML sitemap to help with indexing. I've used this site, http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/, to create the sitemap in the past.

I'm fairly sure that the major search engines will notice a new webpage within two or three days, but they don't rate it and list it until it has some importance, such as links from other sites and the regularity with which the site is updated.

Some of my sites have appeared within two weeks within the top ten or fifteen pages before slowly climbing up after that, but this forum got into the top page almost immediately when searching for "website design forums" or similar words. It also depends a lot on the search criteria, the more specific the better.

Hello,

I felt the same way when I launched my first web site, but it does take time. Search engines use crawlers that surf the web from time to time picking up information about new web sites. You can check the Google Webmasters section to see when the next crawl is due. After which, it comes down to the number of clicks your page gets, the more clicks the higher on the list is will be.

Also make sure to have ALT text on all your images that include the company name and keywords about the company.

Google can and will 'sandbox' a new site between 3 to 6 months. It will crawl it regularly and pages will get indexed, but results will not show. Something else to help it get shown in results is to register your domain for 3 or more years, get a natural link back to your site from a peer or a related business. The best way is via an article or press release on an already established and indexed website. If you have a local paper that does press releases and they have an online version of their article - go for it.

hi guys, i noticed some of you have been having difficulty getting your website indexed. To hurry this process up just send out a ping to your website. A ping is when you alert the search engines that new content is available to be indexed. If any of you need this kind of assistance (to get your website found by google quicker) please let me know and i can write a short review and send out a ping.