Need Help! Why aren't these links working!

ChickenMan

I"ve created the Moving.html webpage but when I click this link from the hompage the link just leads to a page that says: "Your file was not found".

<nav>
    <ul>
      <li><a href=“./GoodWork.html”>Home</a></li>
      <li><a href=“./Moving.html”>Moving Service</a></li>
      <li><a href=“Snowleaf.htm”>Snow/Leaf Removal Service</a><li>
      <li><a href=“Lawncare.htm”>Lawncare Service</a></li>
      <li><a href=“Cleaning.htm”>Cleaning Service</a></li>
      <li><a href=“ContactGW.htm”>Contact Us</a></li>
      <li><a href=“WebstoreGW.htm”>Webstore</a></li>
      <li><a href=“DonateGW.htm”>Donate!</a></li>
    </ul>
  </nav>

OK, then just try the ../, that takes you out of the folder you are in and the page should be in the next folder up. So lets say folder 1 has GoodWork.html and inside folder 1 is folder 2 with page 2

folder 1/GoodWork.html

folder 1/ folder 2/page2.html

<li><a href=“../GoodWork.html”>Home</a></li>

The ../ Takes me away from page 2 out of folder 2 into folder 1 to enter GoodWork.html.

Does that make any sense to you?

Yes that makes sense. I've placed the saved GoodWork.html file to my desktop and I've tried "../GoodWork.html", but i'm still getting the same response. I've also tried to direct the link through the relative path of: "Desktop/GoodWork.html" and tried placing the file in a folder called HTML and tried to direct the link as such : "HTML/GoodWork.html". All of these attempts left me with the same response

Edited by ChickenMan

Are all your files in the same folder? I mean are they all directly on your desktop or are some in subfolders? Can you show us the structure of the files? Also, do none of your links work or only certain ones (which)?

On 29/11/2017 at 9:58 PM, ChickenMan said:

I"ve created the Moving.html webpage but when I click this link from the hompage the link just leads to a page that says: "Your file was not found".

<nav>
    <ul>
      <li><a href=“./GoodWork.html”>Home</a></li>
      <li><a href=“./Moving.html”>Moving Service</a></li>
      <li><a href=“Snowleaf.htm”>Snow/Leaf Removal Service</a><li>
      <li><a href=“Lawncare.htm”>Lawncare Service</a></li>
      <li><a href=“Cleaning.htm”>Cleaning Service</a></li>
      <li><a href=“ContactGW.htm”>Contact Us</a></li>
      <li><a href=“WebstoreGW.htm”>Webstore</a></li>
      <li><a href=“DonateGW.htm”>Donate!</a></li>
    </ul>
  </nav>

Do your pages share the exact same capitalisation of letters in the filenames?

Example is the first page you are linking to actually GoodWork.html

or is it good-work.html or goodwork.html

Common practice is to separate words with dashes and use all lowercase in filenames.

I just noticed that goodwork and moving are .htmL, the other files are just htm (no L). Is this maybe the issue? Check the actual filenames.

Edit: htm and html are both correct, but your life will be much easier if you pick one version and stick with it ALWAYS!!!

3 hours ago, Andrea said:

I just noticed that goodwork and moving are .htmL, the other files are just htm (no L). Is this maybe the issue? Check the actual filenames.

Edit: htm and html are both correct, but your life will be much easier if you pick one version and stick with it ALWAYS!!!

Well spotted! Andrea with the eagle eyes. :-)

Edited by devilslayer

I would think it would work (Chickenman hasn't commented either way though!). If you  are linking to a html page called LawnCare.html using a link LawnCare.htm it will not work as the file LawnCare.htm doesn't exist.

Personally I would name all the pages lowercase and separate them with dashes, rather than mixing upper and lowercase.

lawn-care.html

Edited by devilslayer

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

So glad I ran into this thread as I was having the same issue. So far I am up to ch.4 "hyperlinks" for the basic html and here is a sample if what I got:

<p>check out the link to <a href="my_book_review.html"> my book review.</a></p>

I am using sublime text 2, all of my work so far are saved into the same file and after I have saved my work and opened to view on my browser, I go to click on my hyperlink and a new page opens to say that it was not found. 

Suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Have you verified that there is no typo in the file name and that the review html is definitely saved to the same folder?

Are you working online? If so, have you made sure tre review file has actually been uploaded?