H1 Tags

oggyswain

I am trying to bring my website nearer to the top of the google rankings. 14,000,000th place is not good enough for me anymore. Also I am curious to see what kind of a difference it makes when your h1 tags, page name and change in content really makes. This is the perfect opportunity to find that out.

So my question is can someone look to see if I have set this up right. this website is from a template. I have tried to do the h1 tags but I don't think it is done correctly.

Can someone look at it and let me know what the correct coding should be.

Thank

The site is

www.urbanmail.ca

the coding I have is

Direct Mail is Urban Mail

This is strictly going by what you have noted here. You should not use divs and spans. H1 is it's own tag. So use that, that is logical to the search engines and tools for handicapped users.

Using CSS you can define the look and size of it as you wish. Screen readers use the H Tags as a means to navigate the site so it is important that you use them correctly. Also do not stuff key words in them, make it a intelligent meaningful statement with your best keywords as possible.

Also use the correct order, H1 followed by H2 followed by H3... do not mix them up based on their default look, CSS will give you what you want for formatting, the Header tags must be used logically and correctly.

As for how many, the majority of designers feel there should only be on H1 per page and this olds a description of that page. Then multiple H2's etc. But a smaller number like to use an H1 tag for the navigation as well, I don't.

Your use of Heading tags will be further complicated by including them inside the Table based layout.

I would suggest that you find a true html/css layout for the page and the Heading structure becomes more likely to succeed in your target of improving SEO and Search results.

Well, at the very least, you should have something more like:

Direct Mail is Urban Mail

As jlhaslip said though, working with a pure CSS based layout (as in, don't use tables for layout as you are doing at the moment) will probably help -- CSS based layouts are easier for search engine spiders to understand, and will most likely help your SEO efforts.

Here is a starting place for looking at CSS layouts, with both blank layouts and sample templates:

http://layouts.ironmyers.com/

I'm pretty sure Stefan has a video or two on this... I'll see if I can find it.