My Portfolio (Feedback wanted please!)

domdag27

Hey domdag, looking good man! Really nice work :)

Here are some quick thoughts on my first impressions, more from a marketing angle than the dev/design side:
*apologies in advance that I can't leave you more detailed feedback right this second!

• Your site gives off a great trust vibe. You look professional and the impression I get is that you have your $#it together and you're a competent individual.
    • The track picture and clear association with your almamatar is a nice touch. It's effective!
    • So all around, well done on the key piece of establishing trust.
  • One thing I see lacking is copy that's more focused on your visitor. So far everything is about you, but consider adding some copy that directly addresses the ideal person you hope to influence with your portfolio.
    • Who is your ideal client?
    • What problems, challenges, or needs might they have that you can help them with?
    • What is it like to work with you and what added value do you bring to the table?
    • Why should they hire you?

Answering those kind of questions can help you create strong copy that has the potential to connect with a potential client (assuming that's the purpose of your portfolio).

Example:

Even if you don't have all those answers figured out yet, you could say something like:

• "When working on a project with a developer, communication and reliability are key. A cornerstone to my approach is to map out a clear project plan with my client and communicate at every step of the way so that they always know where their project stands. I aim to give clients the peace of mind that comes from knowing their project is on schedule and everything is on track, so they can remain focused on their business."

Remember. People are always asking themselves "What's in it for me?" (beyond the obvious of "I'll get an app/site developed"). Which is where benefits focused copy comes in. Fire up a google search on Benefits Focused Copy and an hour of reading should have you well on your way.

Hope that helps man!

Tyler.

Edited by TylerW
  • Like 1

The site shows that you understand the mechanics of code ... it looks clean and meticulous. 

The next step is to spice up the artsy part of it if you can. Unless you want to sell yourself as the code-mechanic, rather than designer. 

Quick thoughts:

• Cleaner images
  • Remove 'coming soon' ... until it's ready
  • Nice big header image - maybe, you sitting at your computer.

Stef

15 hours ago, domdag27 said:

Thanks guys! Good points. I was thinking something was missing, and a section about the customer plus some better images would definitely be a great touch. 

Nice.

Keep us updated, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

• Like 1

I just have a few grammar suggestions:

Web Development: Since From a young age, I have ....

Skills: I have knowledge in responsive web design with experience in: 
HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootsrap, Node.js, Python, AJAX, Angular, Visual Basic and am learning more every day!  (or ..., Visual Basic, and I am learning more every day!)

As to Athletics and Hobbies - Is the site about you, or is is there to get you web development work? If it's you - then fine, but if it's there to get you work, I don't see how any of that is relevant at all. If I'm looking for a plumber, I want one who does good work, and I couldn't care less if in his spare time, he's bird-watching or under-water-basket weaving.

And from the 'Need a Website?" part:

If you need a website that looks great on all screen sizes, you've you have come to the right place. I work with a small team of developers, and we would love to get you started. We aim to make the process as easy for you as possible, leaving the work to us while keeping you posted every step of the way. We aim to make the process as easy for you as possible. Leave the work to us, and we will keep you posted every step of the way. Our goal is to make your dream site come to life, and we wont will not stop until you agree! Get in touch with me (see below), and we can discuss the details.

None of this is a big deal, and most people probably won't notice, but grammar nazis like I am, will :-)

• Upvote 1

Thank you!  Never was the best writer. :lol: As far as the athletics/hobbies, I'm using the site mostly as a portfolio while I apply for jobs.  I am interested in freelancing, however, I have not actually gotten any clients yet. I've read up online and a lot of articles suggested putting things like hobbies and interests on portfolios in order to create a brand for yourself and to show people who you are outside of coding.  On the other hand, like you said, I have heard others saying keep it 100% related to business. I'd love to hear more opinions on this if anyone else has any to add.