Computer Science Student (and former StudioWeb student) ask Stef 11 questions about being a Professional Programmer

administrator

I figured someone out there might find this interesting.  Here are my answers to the questions:

How did you get started in this field?
I needed a website in 1994

What are your duties in a typical day?
Telling people what to do. :) Managing projects.

What are the educational training requirements that employers look for (i.e. degrees, certifications, etc.)?
Depends on the type of programming. If you want to work for big companies, they will need CS degrees likely. Unless it is in a hot sector where if you can demo the chops they will take you regardless of the degree. 

What kind of work/internship experience would employers look for in a job applicant?
Any real-world projects you can demo that you built. 

What skills, abilities, and personalities are needed for this type of work?
Good communication skills. Be organized and be on time. 

What are challenges you face in your job?
Constant problem solving. That's why software should be made as simple as possible.

What do you like the most about your job, and what do you like the least about it?
I like the creativity. I don't like the debugging. 

What is the salary range for entry-level positions?
Depends on the part of the world. That said, coders will make significantly more than most professions. 

What is the current labor market for this job, and is employment in this field competitive?
For programmers ... lots of work. 

Do you have any suggestions, recommendations, or advice to offer me concerning this occupation?
Build real projects, build a portfolio, concentrate on the basics and be social ... make contacts.

Stef