Navigation links

woodturnersvilla

Assuming this is your image link:

WT_logo.jpeg

You'll need to remove the "Woodsturnersvill.co.nz/" at the beginning, and make sure you are using the correct image ending. If your image ends in ".jpg", you'll need to use that rather than ".jpeg". JPG or GIF should work file. Instead of what you are using at the moment, try this:

WT_logo.jpg

Realize that simply changing the ending of the file from ".jpg" to a ".gif" doesn't actually change the file... you would need to save it out as a .gif using a graphics editing program. If your file is currently saved as "WT_logo.gif.jpg." change it back to "WT_logo.jpg."

Awsome I can now insert and SEE pics - thanks for your help!

I seem to be having problems with the computer saving multiple copies when I press the save icon, also rather than writing over and replacing parts I want to change, it just saves another new copy with the same name. To avoid this I have to "save as" and replace the previous draft.

Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm having trouble with the beginning web design. I have a index page that I can't seem to link to my three practice pages. Here is the code I am using in the index page. I copied it to the other three pages. When I go to open the link in the index.html page--nothing happens. Can you help?

Home

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Thanks...

I get an Internet Explorer Cannot Display the WebPage

That means it can't find the file for some reason. Are your home page and page1.html - page4.html all in the same folder?

Also keep in mind that files are case sensitive - "Page1.html" and "page1.html" aren't the same thing.

Edited by falkencreative

OK - I'm lost. I've tried looking at it again. My index.html, page1.html, page2.html, and page3.html pages are all separate pages on my desk top. I followed the video through last night and again today, and I still don't get it. I haven't a clue what an anchor is. Help?

page1.html-page3.html are on my desktop

I get an Internet Explorer Cannot Display the WebPage

Nothing happens, or you get a "page can't be found" error?

The code itself looks fine... are your home page and page1.html - page4.html all in the same folder?

I followed the video through last night and again today, and I still don't get it.

Are you talking about the linking issue, or something else?

I haven't a clue what an anchor is.

Eric was just meaning that you don't have any "" on "

• Home
  • " section in your code. That shouldn't have any effect on your other links working/not working though.

How about we try a test then...

-- Create a new folder on your desktop. You can call it anything you like.

-- Within that new folder, create two files: file1.html and file2.html.

Edit file1.html so it has these contents:

File 1Go to file2.html

Edit file2.html so it has these contents:

File 2Go to file1.html

-- Now open file1.html with your web browser. You should see a large black header that says "File 1" and a link to the second file.

-- Click the link

-- Your web browser should take you to the second file (the headers should say "File 2").

Can you test that, and let me know if that works for you?

I felt like I understood the video fine and that it was easy to understand. It's just that when I tried to link my pages to the index page, nothing happened. I went back and looked and started over again with the same results. I've got to be doing something wrong someplace. I copied and pasted the navigation links into the individual page1.html .... pages and retitled each page so that it read the same. Hmm....

I followed the video through last night and again today, and I still don't get it.

Are you talking about the linking issue, or something else?

I haven't a clue what an anchor is.

Eric was just meaning that you don't have any "" on "Home" section in your code. That shouldn't have any effect on your other links working/not working though.

It's just that when I tried to link my pages to the index page, nothing happened.
    It sounds like Errc had the answer - that's assuming the ohter pages work, just your index/ home page does not. And that's because there is NO Link (what Eric called the anchor) - the part of the code that starts with

Home

Should look like this:

Hi, I got the same results. It shows up like it is supposed to, but it doesn't go anywhere. I just get the Internet error again.

How about we try a test then...

-- Create a new folder on your desktop. You can call it anything you like.

-- Within that new folder, create two files: file1.html and file2.html.

Edit file1.html so it has these contents:

File 1Go to file2.html

Edit file2.html so it has these contents:

File 2Go to file1.html

-- Now open file1.html with your web browser. You should see a large black header that says "File 1" and a link to the second file.

-- Click the link

-- Your web browser should take you to the second file (the headers should say "File 2").

Can you test that, and let me know if that works for you?

Hi,

Actually, none of the pages work. I have it the way you said it should be in pages 1-3. The video says that on the index page you can just put "Home" like in the example below. Should I change the index (home) page too?

It's just that when I tried to link my pages to the index page' date=' nothing happened.[/quote']It sounds like Errc had the answer - that's assuming the ohter pages work, just your index/ home page does not. And that's because there is NO Link (what Eric called the anchor) - the part of the code that starts with

Home

Should look like this:

Index can be just home - when you're ON the home/index page, but when you're on page 2, and want to go back to index, you'll need the link/anchor there.

And when you say 'none of these pages work" --- what does that mean? they don't even come up? Or they come up when you open them, but when you click one of th links, you don't get to the page you want to go to? And if that's so - what do you get instead?

Can you post the entire code of your entire page?

When I try the test folder with File1 and File 2 inside, each come up with their heading and a link. When I click on the link I just get an error that says "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage".

Can you be more precise- you say "It shows up like it's supposed to" - what does? And then what do you do? And what exactly happens/doesn't happen?

I've created an index.html page here: http://www.aandbwebdesign.com/misc/index.html (that's exactly your code) and a page1.html. Both work. So we know your code is correct.

You still haven't described what it is you're doing/trying to do/getting, as I asked earlier.

Based on what we know - that the code's working - and don't know (see one line up) the only things wrong can be your file names - check for exact spelling and don't forget about the case sensitivity issue Ben has already mentioned - Page1.html is NOT the same as page1.html or Page1.HTML - the case has to be the exact same in your file name and your html.

One other thing that you might want to check... Windows by default hides the file extension. So, it is possible you could have a file named file1.html.html, which could cause the issue you are having... I really don't know though -- as far as I can tell, what you have should work.

To double check this:

-- Open up Windows Explorer (for example, double click the new folder you created for the test files I asked you to create on your desktop)

-- within Windows Explorer, go up to Tools > Folder Options

-- select the "View" tab

-- Make sure the "Hide extensions for known file types" checkbox is unchecked.

If it is unchecked, that means that this isn't a potential cause of the issue you are having. If it is checked, uncheck it, click OK, and then double check the file names on your .html files.

Andrea,

I've copied your version and will compare it to mine. I thought I was being very careful of the upper and lower case wording. Time for a break and dinner. Thanks for your help - and everyone else's.

Deb

I've created an index.html page here: http://www.aandbwebdesign.com/misc/index.html (that's exactly your code) and a page1.html. Both work. So we know your code is correct.

You still haven't described what it is you're doing/trying to do/getting, as I asked earlier.

Based on what we know - that the code's working - and don't know (see one line up) the only things wrong can be your file names - check for exact spelling and don't forget about the case sensitivity issue Ben has already mentioned - Page1.html is NOT the same as page1.html or Page1.HTML - the case has to be the exact same in your file name and your html.