Bluehost Dedicated Hosting Any Good?

GregP

Has anyone had any experience with Bluehost.com? I'm looking to switch over some hosting accounts from GoDaddy to something faster and more reliable. I'm considering Bluehost's Enhanced dedicated hosting and I was hoping someone who's had some experience with them might be able to let me know if they're happy with their service. 

Thanks!

Thank you, Andrea, but I'm well aware of Google and how to use it. I had already read through dozens of mixed reviews and am also aware that some of them are fake (as often times happens with online "reviews") and were posted by people who have a vested interest in the success of their business. Apparently asking for some real world reviews by real people who have used this hosting service was too much to ask. If you feel my original post was inappropriate please feel free to delete it. 

Sorry, I just thought it'd be more efficient searching for this topic directly than hoping that someone here has personal experience they are willing to share.

Personally, I can only tell you that I've had trouble with GoDaddy hosting, too, and no longer use them. For a while, I used 3iX.org - only a buck a month, but account kept getting hacked. I've now been with iPage for several years and have not had any issues that weren't resolved quickly.

The problem is that most reviews you find are for a company's cheapest hosting plan. For example, they may have a $2 or $3 a month basic hosting plan, so the reviews I find always seem to be for those inexpensive plans (which can tend to be slow and unreliable). I'm not interested in these reviews. I need to move a large client to a host with a fast, reliable, dedicated server. These plans can typically run anywhere from $150 to $500 per month. This is a serious move that will, no doubt, involve several hours of down time - which means my client could potentially lose thousands of dollars during the outage. As you can imagine, I want to be absolutely SURE I'm making the right hosting recommendation as I don't want to have to make this move twice. 

Thank you, Andrea, but I'm well aware of Google and how to use it. I had already read through dozens of mixed reviews and am also aware that some of them are fake (as often times happens with online "reviews") and were posted by people who have a vested interest in the success of their business. Apparently asking for some real world reviews by real people who have used this hosting service was too much to ask. If you feel my original post was inappropriate please feel free to delete it. 

I wouldn't go with godaddy either. I would stay as far away from fatcow as I could. Fatcow is garbage with their perl ran servers. You know if you want fast and reliable there is rackspace which might be overkill depending. You could always try a block for free at dotblock, amazon web service or google. Dotblock has ssd drives which would definitely serve up pages quicker. Time to first byte seems to be a problem with any shared hosting and some higher cost servers. 

I'd probably go with a cloud service like amazon that will expand along with your site and you might pay a bit extra but virtual servers like AWS have great upsides for the extra but smaller premiums they charge. 

All hosting companies get mixed reviews, however your best bets are virtual cloud based servers in my opinion.

Just read your new post. maybe go with AWS. you can even consider using NGINX as your server. I've heard people dropping huge dollars on dedicated hosting and still being very upset. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't go with godaddy either. I would stay as far away from fatcow as I could. Fatcow is garbage with their perl ran servers. You know if you want fast and reliable there is rackspace which might be overkill depending. You could always try a block for free at dotblock, amazon web service or google. Dotblock has ssd drives which would definitely serve up pages quicker. Time to first byte seems to be a problem with any shared hosting and some higher cost servers. 

I'd probably go with a cloud service like amazon that will expand along with your site and you might pay a bit extra but virtual servers like AWS have great upsides for the extra but smaller premiums they charge. 

All hosting companies get mixed reviews, however your best bets are virtual cloud based servers in my opinion.

Just read your new post. maybe go with AWS. you can even consider using NGINX as your server. I've heard people dropping huge dollars on dedicated hosting and still being very upset. 

Thanks for your input. Time to first byte and sporadic slow page loads have been the issue at GoDaddy. We're on a shared cloud server and that's probably the problem. I'm not terribly happy with GoDaddy and was looking for something faster and more reliable. We've looked at Rackspace - but they're probably the most expensive so far at about $500 per month. Bluehost, which is owned by the same company as Hostgator, was recommended to me a while back and seems promising at less than half the cost of Rackspace. I just haven't found anyone who has any personal experience with Bluehost. I'll have to spend a little more time to look at your recommendations before we make a move. Thanks again! 

Thanks for your input. Time to first byte and sporadic slow page loads have been the issue at GoDaddy. We're on a shared cloud server and that's probably the problem. I'm not terribly happy with GoDaddy and was looking for something faster and more reliable. We've looked at Rackspace - but they're probably the most expensive so far at about $500 per month. Bluehost, which is owned by the same company as Hostgator, was recommended to me a while back and seems promising at less than half the cost of Rackspace. I just haven't found anyone who has any personal experience with Bluehost. I'll have to spend a little more time to look at your recommendations before we make a move. Thanks again!

I'm betting dotblock or digital ocean would be what you need and wouldn't drain the bank account to badly. Dotblock seems to have a slightly better benchmark but digital ocean is no dog either.

Hi,

The only problem with cloud based hosting is that the cost adds up quickly if you have more than ok traffic. We recently ran the numbers on various cloud based hosting solutions and it was very expensive relative to traditional dedicated servers.  We run our own dedicated server for the KS sites and do millions of pageviews /month ... so perhaps cloud hosting might be a solution for most websites that don't get significant traffic.

The good thing about cloud hosting is that you can scale very, very quickly. 

Stefan

Hi,

The only problem with cloud based hosting is that the cost adds up quickly if you have more than ok traffic. We recently ran the numbers on various cloud based hosting solutions and it was very expensive relative to traditional dedicated servers.  We run our own dedicated server for the KS sites and do millions of pageviews /month ... so perhaps cloud hosting might be a solution for most websites that don't get significant traffic.

The good thing about cloud hosting is that you can scale very, very quickly. 

Stefan

I like the idea of cloud-based hosting but ended up pulling the trigger on a dedicated hosting package at Bluehost. The price came in at just under $2k a year. Fingers crossed, time will tell if we made the right decision. Now comes the unpleasant job of moving over and configuring a half dozen domains with dozens of email accounts for each. Thank you all for your time and advice.