I Have Been Exploring Frameworks And Have A Couple Of Questions

beermantm

I have been trying to install as many php frameworks I can locally to experiment and study them but I keep running into problems.

1) Problem: is Composer requirements and running command line.

Now I really have no problem with running from the command line however for some reason my computer just does not want to let some of these command line tools to run. I'm confused on Phar files and why composer will not install on my system. Also it seems I need to know git also.

Are there any tips you guys might know of as to what might be preventing composer to run? Incidentally when I click the php.exe file it gets all kinds of errors and will not run. Seems all kinds of dll's are missing. 

2) Problem: is Zend framework seems to require composer or using the command line.

I would love to explore this framework also but I get stuck at problem one however my question is can I use this framework without using any command line tools? Can I just copy files like codeigniter?

3)Problem: is we'll get to three if we could get one and two solved or at least a work around.

Thank You for any help

Tackling the first problem... I had to work with Composer recently for the PayPal course I did for KillerSites, and while it was fiddly at first, didn't really have any problems. Most modern frameworks do seem to require Composer, so I'd definitely try to get that to work.

I'm assuming you are running Windows? And following the instructions here: https://getcomposer.org/doc/00-intro.md#installation-windows ? If you are trying the Composer-Setup.exe, what specific errors are you running into? Have you tried doing a search to see if others are running into the same problems?

Git knowledge is helpful, but not really required, as far as I know. If you are going to be doing a serious project (not just playing around with a framework), I'd definitely suggest using Git to keep track of changes. I'd take a look at https://try.github.io/levels/1/challenges/1 if you are interested in learning. GitHub (github.com) makes it a bit easier to work with Git, especially their tool, which means you don't need/have less need to use the command line. https://windows.github.com/

Tackling the first problem... I had to work with Composer recently for the PayPal course I did for KillerSites, and while it was fiddly at first, didn't really have any problems. Most modern frameworks do seem to require Composer, so I'd definitely try to get that to work.

I'm assuming you are running Windows? And following the instructions here: https://getcomposer.org/doc/00-intro.md#installation-windows ? If you are trying the Composer-Setup.exe, what specific errors are you running into? Have you tried doing a search to see if others are running into the same problems?

Git knowledge is helpful, but not really required, as far as I know. If you are going to be doing a serious project (not just playing around with a framework), I'd definitely suggest using Git to keep track of changes. I'd take a look at https://try.github.io/levels/1/challenges/1 if you are interested in learning. GitHub (github.com) makes it a bit easier to work with Git, especially their tool, which means you don't need/have less need to use the command line. https://windows.github.com/

Thanks Ben,

After tirelessly and frantically searching for an answer, I decided that fixing the xampp issue of installing composer was going to be harder than just moving all my files and reinstalling xampp. I did a reinstall and just like magic composer and git are operating flawlessly. There was some sort of corruption I'm assuming . Of course, I had installed ioncube and about 50 different apps and I do remember doing some hacking to get things to work throughout all those installs. Either I had caused a corruption along the way or I had been getting around the issue for some time.

Now, with a fresh install of the xampp stack, I'm now only experiencing one issue. I was able to get the skeleton zend app installed and running but the files will not dynamically load in dreamweaver. I thought it was the .htaccess rewriting of urls so I first took that out of the equation. I read something about using Pass through before I fell asleep last night so I'm going to keep digging on that. 

I have to admit composer really makes things easier. I installed fuel framework last night also and at first glance it seems amazing. 

Also, your assumption of a windows system was accurate.

Edited by beermantm

From what I hear from former big Zend users - it's better to go elsewhere. Zend apparently has fallen prey to over-complicatus. 

We are now using/moving to Laravel primarily because we can produce projects with 60% less code than if we had done them in CodeIgniter. 

Stef

• 2 weeks later...

From what I hear from former big Zend users - it's better to go elsewhere. Zend apparently has fallen prey to over-complicatus. 

We are now using/moving to Laravel primarily because we can produce projects with 60% less code than if we had done them in CodeIgniter. 

Stef

I'll be looking into Laravel also. Thanks Stef