A new year, a new website

falkencreative

Hello everyone...

Since it's the new year, I thought I should finally launch my redesigned website. Anyone have comments, especially related to usability / accessibility? (I'm looking at you, LSW). I tried to focus especially on accessibility, and though I don't necessarily understand everything just yet, I hope that it's a good start. The TAW Accessibility plugin for Firefox was especially helpful, in case anyone hasn't seen it: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1158.

This is probably the most detailed site I have done to date, and has taken a significant portion of my time over the last month or so. There are still minor things I can tweak, but it's 99% complete. The next step will either be to write a blog engine/CMS in PHP (I know I would be reinventing the wheel, but I need the PHP experience) or use Wordpress or CMS Made Simple.

I'm open to any constructive feedback... I'm still reviewing the whole HTML vs XHTML issue, so no comments about that yet please. :/

http://www.falkencreative.com

A minor quibble, but on your Portfolio page, consider changing 'Services Offered' to 'Services Rendered' or 'Services Provided' -- at first glance I was a little confused and thought you were advertising partners who offered services that compliment your own.

Good point -- I fixed that. Also did a couple of minor things... got set up with Google Analytics, some minor tweaks to the content, set up a pretty 404 page (http://www.falkencreative.com/error)...

It looks real nice Ben! I wouldn't change a thing. I like the use of shadows to create different depths. Something I think I need to work on...

Thanks! I'm especially happy with the PNG zoom image overlay on the thumbnails in the portfolio section (a last minute addition), and, oddly enough, the 404 page I came up with.

Next step -- add additional work to the portfolio, and work on coding a basic CMS system... I probably need something to help manage my portfolio items too, rather than having to add them all manually, so I'll have to work on that eventually too.

It's beautiful, Ben. :) And I meant what I said on Twitter - it belongs on the various design inspiration sites.

About the comments in your Journal - is there a reason why you're not just using the Wordpress comment system?

I want to... But I really need a project of some sort to expand my PHP skills, and writing blogging software -- at least, something basic -- is one way I could do that. Yes, I could easily use Wordpress or CMSMS, but I'm hoping that I can pick up some development knowledge by doing it myself. Then again, it may backfire if I never get around to it, and don't post on my blog or update my site as often because of that.