Learning To Program With Code Vs Using Gui Tools.

administrator

Hi,

I've noticed a movement lately where people are learning to code with pseudo languages that look like lego blocks rather than actual code.

<_<

... The idea is that you can learn code concepts using the blocks, making it easier for students.

Why do I disagree?

The major problem with GUI based programming tools is that ALL the popular languages used in the real world are code based:

Java

JavaScript

PHP

Ruby

C#

Python

objective C

…. And the list goes on.

Drag-n-drop lego-block programming is not reflective of the real world.

Students need to develop what I call ‘nerd eyes’ - the ability to read code. This becomes critically important as student progresses into the world of programming.

Being able to read code quickly has a huge impact on the student’s progression when it comes to learning how to program. In addition, nerd-eyes has a huge impact on debugging, understanding codebases and just simply in day-to-day programming.

Stef

I concur. The GUI method is great but it is indeed important to know the code. I just dealt with one of those types of sites and although it was easy to manipulate I found myself making some changes to the code because the GUI did not give me the exact custom design I was looking for.