Killersites Community
Graeme

Cymk V Rgb

Hello All,

I recently sent a poster to my printer but she contacted me to say some of the text was too dark when she printed out a test! I have read up on a few things but wondered if it had any thing to do with, when setting up the new file I chose RGB when maybe I should have chosen CYMK. I think that the printer's conversion is changing the colours but wanted to see what the boys and girls on the forum think?

Thank you as always

Best wishes

Graeme

Yes, if you are doing print work, you need to be working in CMYK, which is what the item will be printed in. Otherwise, yes, it will get automatically converted to CMYK, and you might get unexpected results.

Just wondering Ben, why do you have the RGB option, is it when you are doinf something for view on a screen or something?

Thank you,

Best wishes

Graeme

Right. RGB is for web/screen work, and CMYK is for print. They have different color gamuts (meaning the range of colors they can display), and CMYK specifically has a smaller range of colors it can create from the cyan/magenta/yellow/black combination of inks. This is often why you'll see colors shift slightly when switching between the two, because the calculations used to create those colors from the combinations of inks change.

The RGB colour model is an additive color model in which red, green and blue light are added together in various ways to reproduce a broad array of colors. The name of the model comes from the initials of the three additive primary colors, red, green, and blue. The main purpose of the RGB color model is for the sensing, representation and display of images in electronic systems, such as televisions and computers, though it has also been used in conventional photography.

The CMYK color model (process color, four color) is a subtractive color model, used in color printing, and is also used to describe the printing process itself. CMYK refers to the four inks used in some color printing: cyan, magenta,yellow, and key (black).