Photoshop CS3: Can't load a new pattern

Susie

I have downloaded a new pattern and am not understanding how to install it in my Photoshop for use. The file type is .PAT and I put it in the Adobe > Adobe Photoshop CS3 > Presets > Patterns folder. I see other patterns that came preinstalled in Photoshop.

Next I created a new document and selected the paint bucket tool. At the top I then selected Pattern. And then I opened the pattern menu to the right of that and clicked the little arrow so I could choose Load Patterns from the menu.

Correct so far? I think so....

The problem is, it says there's nothing in the Patterns directory. But I KNOW there is. I see it when I look at it outside of Photoshop. So, why isn't my Photoshop program seeing the patterns in there?!

Help? :)

Sometimes you may need to turn off PS and reboot the program before it will recognize a change.

I just tried moving and replacing several patters from PSCS3 with no trouble. I'm not sure what's going on for you. You can also use "Replace Patterns" which will clear the window and replace it with the pattern you choose...

Short of turning it off then back on I am at a loss, sorry.

Thanks for your reply. :) I figured it out. I didn't have to manually load the patterns at all. They appear in the list of preinstalled patterns automatically.

But darn it, this isn't what I was hoping for. LOL I was hoping a pattern would be like a brush where I could decide which colors to use instead of being confined to the colors in the pattern.

But darn it, this isn't what I was hoping for. LOL I was hoping a pattern would be like a brush where I could decide which colors to use instead of being confined to the colors in the pattern.

Depends on the pattern (and obviously this is a bit more work) but you may be able to use the pattern and then use Hue/Saturation to adjust the color to your liking.