Who put ads on my site?

Bluefire

My site has no visible ads on it. There is a blog attached to it (the blog does have ads).

Today I went to look at the file through my FTP software to find about a hundred html pages that I didn't put there. They were all ads. They are not visible on the site, just in the file.

How are they getting there? There has got to be a back door open someplace.

There are several places that could be vulnerable.

The Word Press blog

The host

The template from Active Den.

How do I start looking for the problem and solution?

Thanks.

It's possible that your host got hacked -- that does happen on occasion. I've had my host hacked and malicious javascript added to my site once in the past. I doubt that the Wordpress blog or a template could have caused this.

You'll just have to edit your files via FTP and remove the ads if you haven't already. You may report this to your host, though I am not sure how much they will be able to help.

Yes, the site was hacked.

There are now redirects on it that lead you to a site that tries to download malware. I removed the ads. I removed the site pages and put them up again but they still redirect.

I have contacted my host and am waiting for them to answer.

I checked the source code but I didn't see anything amiss. I guess the only other thing I can do is to remove the entire site and upload it again.

You should also change your password.

My site was hacked 3 times in 48 hours, by the same person tho. I changed my password but there was also a few hidden files that were allowing them to hack me again. So don't just concentrate on the HTML pages. In your FTP, look at any folders with a recent date that you know you didn't update yourself. Chances are there are more files there.

Good Luck!

Yes, I did those.

I contacted my host and they went through both of my sites and pulled out all suspicious junk. Then I changed my password.

They said the malware might have been hiding on my home computer so I scanned with Norton and McAfee. They did not find anything. I am just telling you all this so you don't rely on these two programs. I scanned with Ad Aware and it found the worms.

A friend told me about AVG. I may try it out to see if it works better than Ad Aware or SpyBot. I see no reason to have four or five anti-virus programs but if the two big ones don't work...

And how come my firewall didn't catch them? :mad:

Anyway, as of this writing the site is up and working again.

One other thing I did. To keep my viewers from catching the virus I removed the index page until the problem was fixed. That way I didn't have to take the whole site down. If it happens again I may put up a maintenance page, but I didn't have one at the time.

Edited by Bluefire