survey help

akurtula

hi

as part for my final year of my university degree, i have chosen to create a new social networking site (simular to facebook)

at the moment i am collecting my research, i would realy like to find out how people use Social Netwoking site

I hope you could help me with this research by filling out this survey:

http://www.tigersurvey.com/survey.php?survey=12792

? greatly appreciated

jlhaslip - yes thats my bad, i found it strick to set it up though thanks for your submition

i change question 4 to normal (not required)

falkencreative:

yes, i cant wait to start it, though i want to do a bit more research, so that when i start the coding, i do not need to google anything - other than "how to code that or the other" :)

because this is the final project, the assessors are being very cool, in letting me to decide what needs to be included (as long as i can back it up with the research) - so it will not include things like external applications (such as the quizes and games in facebook)

though i hope to include : emailing, commenting, uploading, inforation storage (hobbies and so on) AND i am thinking it be cool to try and create an intant messaging between users (like facebook) - though that is the only thing that i have never tryed to do - and is not like i'm an advance coder (i find it hard to call my self intermediat) - So i may not "get the time" to do the messaging :) - there are few other feature that i'm not remembering at the moment but that would be the base line

Edited by akurtula

I have collected the feedback I got from you, there has 12 responses so about 10 have been from you guys, so thanks a lot

I has extremely happy that your responses reflected my other research, which basically some have had trouble using the social site, others have not found the help useful. Also there are people that have not read there terms and conditions (I?m one of the ;) ) and others that don?t know and don?t really care how their information is used by their social sites.

Today I had to present the finding to my assessors, and they liked the ?audience feedback?

though it looks like they expect me to ?really? try and implement a chat application within my website (like facebook), and that is something that I have no idea where to start.

Anyways, even though I had designed the survey will few problems (ie. Making wrong questions required), I really like to thank you for helping me with this.

Thanks all

Aurel

though it looks like they expect me to ?really? try and implement a chat application within my website (like facebook), and that is something that I have no idea where to start.

I don't know if this tutorial follows all the "best practices", but it might be worth a look as a starting point:

http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/javascript-ajax/how-to-create-a-simple-web-based-chat-application/

thanks Benjamin Falk

the tutorial looks helpful, will find sometime this weekend to try it out,

though the other thing that i niglected to mention (and that because i do not feel good about it) is that i will be using .NET to implement this website.

now i have started to look at php last year (i think ) - of course, because of uni work i have not been able to allocate time to learn a lot of php but sertanly, i know more php than .net - so that is going to be my biggest challenge of all

the idea behind using .net was so that i can learn a new language, then be able to compare the two from a personal point of view - and as stefan said on one of the videos learning another language, helps with the other languages, even though he was not talking about .NET :) - and on top of it all - i think university is all about experimentation (is not that we learn any programming there) - all the serious learing goes on by reading blogs and forums - so uni is just a way of getting free time to work on personal goals

anyways thanks for the tutorial