Wordpress or Static HTML Sites?

artie1

Question for the pros out there:

Is it better as a web designer to create standard HTML sites or Wordpress sites for business clients? It looks like Wordpress is gaining momentum but I am also hearing that they need regular maintenance such as when plugins need constant updating.

Is this an issue for any Wordpress designers out there?

Looking for feedback

-Artie

It really depends on what the client is looking for. Wordpress is nice because your client can take care of some of the content entry/updating themselves, without knowledge of HTML. Saves you time, since you don't have to do that for them, and saves them money.

I wouldn't say that plugins need "constant updating", but yes, they will need the occasional update (a couple times a year?). Still, probably you will spend less time keeping Wordpress updated than you would doing all of the client's updates by hand.

• 3 weeks later...

I only provide websites built upon Wordpress or CMS Made Simple for my clients now. I just don't have the time (or desire) to update their sites with little content/image updates multiple times per month. Yes, Wordpress and the plugins need upgrading once in a while, but as previously mentioned, it's pretty easy to do. No longer do you have to download the updates, FTP them in and perform the upgrades manually. You can just click the link right inside the dashboard and do it yourself.

Guest rohnsmith

hi buddy it depends on how complicated your website is going to be.If your clients website requieres to do a seo of that site than my vote goes to static Html..

i would go for static html. whats the fun in using wordpress? what do you learn? :P

If you are making a site for yourself, that's one thing -- potentially a good opportunity to learn something new or experiment. If you are making a site for others, going with something like Wordpress that will save you time, has a strong user community and should be relatively bug free might make more sense.

• 5 months later...

If you are making a site for yourself, that's one thing -- potentially a good opportunity to learn something new or experiment. If you are making a site for others, going with something like Wordpress that will save you time, has a strong user community and should be relatively bug free might make more sense.

CMS is essential if you want to have a better website developed for your business and others as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest adodis

Word press is good because client can take care of some of the content entry/updating themselves, without knowledge of HTML It looks like Word press is gaining momentum Yes, Word press and the plug-in need upgrading once

Hey guys,

It's quite interested to start doing website with wordpress, but I have some dilemma (and not sure if this is justified, or me being over paranoid). If a client wishes a small and simple website (brochure style) which normally spans up to 7 pages, I would normally do it in static style, as it is a budget type of website.

Now if you're doing it in wordpress, the number of pages is literally unlimited, and Im not sure how to price the service, as somehow, I have this feeling that they think that they are being ripped off by me not doing the real job (coding).

Thanks

Now if you're doing it in wordpress, the number of pages is literally unlimited

True, but it still takes time to implement a CMS, and you are allowing the client to make changes or add/remove pages on the site on their own. You'd want to charge for the install/setup/coding of the page templates for the CMS, not per page. However, a CMS for a very small site like that may not be worth it... it depends on the client, their needs, and how much they are paying you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

CMS is essential if you want to have a better website developed for your business and others as well.

This may sound like a dumb question since I'm new to the world of CMS (only know html and css right now), but am I understanding WordPress correct, that to make a custom site there, you make a custom theme? and in your opinion, for someone new to the world of web design is making a custom theme moderate or difficult? Any helpful advice/info is greatly appreciated!

The Wordpress theme determines how the site looks like, so you'd either create one from scratch or modify an existing one (heed any copyright & usage rules on existing themes).

There is a great series of videos in the Killersites University that show you how to create your own theme. I would rate it moderately difficult for a beginner, but it's a great way to learn. You can make it more difficult by creating a more difficult design.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...