2009 Web PRedictions

shelfimage

I predict that IE8 will be some time in getting to a useable state. The website for reporting problems

http://w ww.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?pg=1&cat=&lang=&cr=&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta&fltr=&lc=1033

shows such a massive number of serious problems I don't see how they can get them sorted quickly. Microsoft have gone from browsers that are not very standards compliant to trying too hard to get one that is, so strictly compliant that it doesn't have enough flexibility.

Roll on cloud computing; no more installing programs, updating them, backing up on cds and then lossing them or finding that the backup is corrupted. I think Google will continue to advance while Microsoft will fade away slowly.

I think Bill Gates will start a new operation in an emerging third world country and call it WorldSoft. WorldSoft will establish its own proprietary communication packet and programming language. It's browser will be lead by a group of Somali pirates that hijack and train 3rd world nerds forcing them to develop apps using disposable mobile phones. Eventually they will seize control of facebook, build groups, sell advertising and gain momentum to overtake Digg.com, twitter, and eventually Yahoo.