How is this link working?

PicnicTutorials

How is this link working?

Notice the white space in the value link - I'm confused? If I remove the white space, or add underscores, or download the swf, change the name, and link to it myself, it does not work. Only that setup above works. Why is that? Thanks!

They're using swfobject. Is that a function of it?

Edited by Eric

I don't do flash but the odds are is that swf file handled by a skin (player control) or merely the swf is calling upon a flv video for fast loading.

In saying, the flv probably has a embedded acition script calling on a particular swf file in order for it to play.

If I am correct, in order to change this you must have the fla file.

Thanks Eddie! This site I'm making is trying my patients. Almost every single aspect of it I don't know how to do without hours of starring at my computer. It's turning out nicely though, very slowly but surely.

I'd prefer to put the video and all it's componites on my server, and not iframe it (like I curently have it). If I post the link can you (or someone else) dig into their code a little and see if you can see how I can host it (or if it's possible at all without the fla)? I downloaded the swf, but that's not working, without the something or other??? The video is streaming, so it's probably the fla I need.

Edited by Eric

Hi Eric, as Eddie said the swf is probably calling on an flv file. I use a system with a skin, a swf, an flv, and a js file but I embed my code in an HTML page so it is easy (for those who know how) to get the file names and download the files.

In your case you might need to use a swf decompiler, sothink has one.

Thanks for the offer Virtual! Although, for now at least, I think I'm just going to make it easy on myself and just iframe it. I took their html code from the page, so I have control over the html page and the iframe. So I'm only linking to their vid - not the html. After all, it's their vid, so it sort of makes sense to iframe it. Of course, then I'm a slave to their hosts uptime, and any folder/file changes they make on their side. Maybe for another time...

Cool - the sites owner gave me all the dependent files! It is now hosted on my site and works perfect. No wonder I couldn't get it working though. There are literally seven files in total that are needed to control the vid. Controllers, XML, mp4, swf's, png, JS, etc...

eewww, this site is going to be so cool! It sort of reminds me of the 1000 sqft addition we put onto our house a while back. I contracted the whole thing, worked, and obsessed on it very hard for a full year until it was done. Needless to say, I haven't lifted a finger on our house since. I burned myself out.

I see sort of the same thing happening here. I'm building a site that is well beyond me capability levels. Forcing it all to work by endlessly starring at the code. Needless to say, I would never have the energy to do that for as client. To hard on my fragile brain. Sort of like my addition - a one time deal. But, if this works out the way I plan, a one time deal is all I need.

Edited by Eric

Sort of like my addition - a one time deal.

Again - will depend on what money you'd work for. :D

Set yourself a level for what you'd slave for. It is a tremendous job to pull good website. Unfortunately, there are no clients who are aware of that ( those who knows are all web designers self).

Great, glad to hear you got it going. I use only 5 files to play the video.

You know what, that is how you learn, set your goals higher that your present level of competence. If you are intelligent, hardworking and resourceful you'll get it to work. But as LM says you cannot do that for a client unless you are willing to put in more time and effort than they are willing to pay.