First Relative Positioned Website

XanthosTheDivine

Looks good overall. There are some validation errors, but most of them look pretty simple to fix (most involving the "/>" ending on some of the lines in the

section of the document, which you can't have in a HTML 4 doc, only in an XHTML doc). http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.krismere.com/

The main comment I have though is that the content probably could be organized better -- especially on the home page. I highly doubt that the huge block of text on the home page (left of the slideshow) will actually be read by visitors. Reducing the amount of text on the home page and perhaps dividing some of the long paragraphs of text on the site into separate paragraphs will improve the readability. Having the text left aligned rather than justified would also help readability.

I agree with Ben about that huge block of text, and on the other pages the text stretches all the way across the site which makes it too difficult to read, especially if you have a very wide screen. I think the size of the font is too big and it could do with being broken up into manageable chunks and maybe illustrated with a few photos, to give it some visual interest.

I also do not like the navigation at the bottom which means I have to scroll to the bottom of every page to navigate. That is not very user friendly.

Thanks for the comments, I will see what I can do to get the client to break up the text a bit. I think maybe a font size drop would be good.

The text goes all the way across the screen? I thought I had it set to 700 pixels, regardless of screen size. I'm working on a widescreen monitor, so it's hard for me to know what it will look like on something smaller. Interesting.

Virtual wrote

I also do not like the navigation at the bottom which means I have to scroll to the bottom of every page to navigate. That is not very user friendly.

Well I'm very sorry guys, I must be going blind, getting Alzheimer's or it wasn't displaying properly. I navigated several pages and couldn't see the nav at the top....?

Re the lenth of your text, readability studies show that most users find a line length of 40 - 60 characters to be easiest to consume (though at least one report ranges from 35 - 95 and another a more modest 40 - 80, depending on the font used)

Thanks for that Jim, I thought I was losing my mind about not seeing the top navigation. Today I can see it on my PC Firefox 2

yesterday when I didn't see it I was Firefox 3 on my Mac.

Well I just checked on the PC IE8, IE7, Chrome and Safari and the top nav is definitely there, however in IE6 it is tiny, almost illegible.

I will check on the Mac later on today.

Well thank goodness I'm not blind, dumb or just plain crazy. You definitely have a problem with your top navigation on a Mac, it does not show at all in Firefox 3.5, Safari 4.0 or IE5 for Mac (which doesn't really matter as it is no longer supported). It does however show in Opera 9.