In the middle of CSS tutorial: Need help!

mgeorge

Just finished part 1 and starting part 2 of the CSS tutoral on howtobuildwebsites .com. After I copied and paste the div tags in between the body tags, I saved it on my computer and when I went to view it, the browser did not register the div tags. All I had was Main Navigation and Main Heading in bold one above the other with no divisions on the page. I clicked the CSS example link to see what the page should look like and it had the main navigation on the left and main heading in the center. I even viewed the source code and compared it to the source code of the page that I created and they were the same. But for what ever reason, the browser is not reading the div tags. Can someone help me out and possible give me some solutions to this problem? I wanna continue with the tutorials but really don't wanna move on without getting this part right.

Thanks

I'm learning loads of information. Your sites are very helpful!

If the source code of your page is the same as the tutorial, have you created a css file and placed it in the correct folder?

Is there a code in the head section similar to this:-

where example.css is a separate file that contains the styles (instructions) for the placing of the divs?

this is the code that I have in the head:

And this is the code that I have in between the body tags:

The Main Heading

Go to the Web Designers Killer Handbook home page and grab the practice HTML page that we will used as the starting template for this tutorial. You can find it under the heading: 'To create the practice HTML page do the following:'.

Follow the instructions there and create your basic HTML page. And do it now!

The Main navigation

For some reason it's not reading the div tags. I don't get it.

I use Google Chrome as my browser, but I don't think that has nothing to do with it. I can click on the css example in the tutorial and get the desired results

According to the code in that page, it is working correctly. I'm not sure what you mean by "not reading the div tags" but the div tags are there when you view source. I do notice that it is not reading the CSS file -- either you forgot to upload that, or the link to the CSS file is incorrect. At the moment, the code is pointing to a file named "myCSS.css" and it needs to be in the same folder as your html file.

Not Found

The requested URL /mycsspage/myCSS.css was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found
error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.7a Phusion_Passenger/2.2.4 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at royaltybydesign.net Port 80

On the css tutorial on how to build a website the exact same source code produces this: http://www.how-to-build-websites.com/css_Tutorial/myPracticeHTML.htm

But when I copy it to try to duplicate it for practice, I get the result in the link above. Click each link ( the one on this post and the one above) and you'll see the difference. There is no divisions on my page like the one in the tutorial.

I'll double check my folder to make sure it's reading the Css ( to make sure it's linked properly)

I figured out what I did wrong:D :D

I didn't know or don't remember that the css extension is case sensitive. In my source code I had myCSS.css but in my folder on my server, I had mycss.css.

Sorry for wasting your time. I should've paid more attention. Well a learning experience for me. Back to the tutorials!:)

Edited by mgeorge