Need Help Making Sections Of A Site Dynamic

Kervtuza

Hey guys,

So I have a lot of knowledge with web design, photoshop, html, css etc. The problem I am facing is that I am having trouble making websites that can be easily edited by clients. I know how to use wordpress, install themes and such, but I am trying to find a simple way to make one or two sections of the site editable, like the news for example.

I am not very good with javascript and PHP, is there an easy way for me to upload an entire site to wordpress and make one section editable?

Thanks for the reply Andrea and Eddie. I can make extremely creative websites with css/html but If I make them for individual clients, they have no way to change content on their site unless they also know html.

I just want to make individual sections of a site that I build from scratch to be editable for the client. Anyone know of any tools I can use to achieve this?

Again, I don't think you are grasping what Wordpress can do for you. Maybe you can explain why you don't want to use WP?

If you want to just create them via html and css and not use Wordpress or any other CMS then you can set up sub folders specifically for your clients.

The other option is .dwt templates. This is commonly used by Dreamweaver and Expression Web (formerly FrontPage). You can define what areas the client can edit but it will require them to know html.

However, you can also do this with Wordpress as well. How that works is that you build your site like you normally do and then set up WP in it's own folder and build your pages specifically for clients to edit. So if you have 20 pages and only 5 of them are going to be edited by the client then you add those 5 pages to WP only.

As for design, it's really not difficult to apply your design to WP.

If you are comfortable with php, you could set up includes specifically for clients to edit. They will only edit what's in that include file.

<body>
<div id="header">
--header stuff here--
</div>
<div id="leftcolumn">
--left menu or content here--
</div>
<div id="content">
<?php include("client-folder/content-for-home-page.inc"); ?>
</div>
</body>

Then the include file will only contains the content that the customer can edit.

You have some choices here but I think using WP is going to be the best bet for you and the client.

... is there an easy way for me to upload an entire site to wordpress and make one section editable?

You have two options:

1. Install Wordpress and create theme that matches the static site and then recreate it in wordpress. You can keep the same page names and URLs using Wordpress pages functionality. If your original site is not too big, this is doable. But even with a small site, to do this just to make two pages editable, seems a waste of time perhaps.

:(

2. Just install Wordpress for that section. So for instance, if you were going to have a 'news' section as in:

www.yoursites.com/news/

... I would just install Wordpress in the news sub directory. You then create editor accounts for your clients and they can then add all the news items they want! If you need Wordpress training (my shameless plug!) ...:

Wordpress Training Videos

:)

Hope that helps,

Stefan

Thanks for the reply Andrea and Eddie. I can make extremely creative websites with css/html but If I make them for individual clients, they have no way to change content on their site unless they also know html.

I just want to make individual sections of a site that I build from scratch to be editable for the client. Anyone know of any tools I can use to achieve this?

I realize many people love Wordpress because of its ease of use, however it sounds like something even easier for your clients like Perch may be what you are looking for. With a simple CMS like perch you simply add simple code to the part of your static website that you want to be dynamic for your client. http://grabaperch.com/

Edited by kralcx