Making a link for my wordpress front page?

weboncloud

I'm building a wordpress theme for my website. I notice that in the dashboard's reading options, my front page displays my latests post which is exactly what i want. I want that to be my homepage. How do i offer my wordpress website users the option to go to the homepage?

I'm asking this because this is the template tag that i used to list my pages:

<?php wp_list_pages('title_li='); ?>

Now after adding this, i notice that i have an About page. I want to create a page called Home (and make it my front page that displays my latests posts).

How do i do that? I know how to create pages but how do i make that the page that opens up when people go to the url and how do i make that homepage display the latests posts?

Thank you all for reading this.

weboncloud

If you want people to go straight to your "Home" page when they just put a url in their browser which doesn't state a filename, like www.mydomain.com then you need a file called index.php (or index.html or index.htm but I expect that you have a php page).

So rename your page with the latest blog as index.php because when a browser only has the domain name it searches for a page beginning with index

If the page is called home.php then viewers need to type or bookmark www.mydomain.com/home.php which probably won't happen, so get rid of this page and rename as index.php

Edited by Wickham

Wordpress does not include a link to "Home" in the navigation by default. Why? I'll never understand. I totally think it should. Anyway, here's a plugin that will do it for you. I use it all the time and it works great.

Wordpress Plugin: Home Page Link

Edit to add: So, just install this plugin and leave the option in Reading set to latest posts. Now your home page will be your blog posts and you will have a link to Home so people can get back to it when they need to.

Edited by Susie

• 2 weeks later...
I'm building a wordpress theme for my website. I notice that in the dashboard's reading options, my front page displays my latests post which is exactly what i want. I want that to be my homepage. How do i offer my wordpress website users the option to go to the homepage?

I'm asking this because this is the template tag that i used to list my pages:

<?php wp_list_pages('title_li='); ?>

Now after adding this, i notice that i have an About page. I want to create a page called Home (and make it my front page that displays my latests posts).

How do i do that? I know how to create pages but how do i make that the page that opens up when people go to the url and how do i make that homepage display the latests posts?

Thank you all for reading this.

weboncloud

Wordpress 2.7 allows you to use the wp_page_menu template tag that allows you to insert a Home link as your homepage and that page will display all your latest posts. This is a new template tag that only works with wordpress version 2.7. You may have to set it like this:

<?php wp_page_menu('show_home=1'); ?>

to display the homepage. Using <?php wp_page_menu(); ?> alone won't display a Home link. This template tag beats having to use wp_list_pages() and using plugins with it.

For more info on wp_page_menu() visit the link below

http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/wp_page_menu

Hope this helps,:)

Jaysone